Home Stories Timeline Map Gallery Background People

The Trail

Stories behind the trail - Read about all the LSA properties with stories about the people which bring the trail to life.
More information would be most welcome - please email sidlesham.heritage.trail@gmail.com. You can also download and print the trail leaflet or visit the mobile friendly page to use on site with your smartphone.
-

School Lay-By

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

The Sidlesham LSA Heritage trail starts from the primary school car park, Keynor Lane, PO20 7NL (OS GR 978847).
Opposite the school car park are two semi-detached LSA houses (No 1&2) built for £624 in 1935.
The smallholdings, numbered sequentially (1-144) across the whole LSA, were initially known by their estate number (eg: 2 Keynor). After the closure in 1983 the Post Office allowed properties to have names as well as numbers (eg Numereuxdeux).

Next More
-

Nos 1 & 2:

Edit This Location

No 1:
William Rutter arrived in 1936. His children had previously attended school in Quebec, a small coal mining village 6 miles west of Durham. The family 'returned north' in February 1940 (School Admissions Register).

According to the Primary School Records Rita Hackwell (1 Keynor) left in October 1943 and returned to Trealaw, Rhondda. One of several families that could not adapt to the new way of life and left the LSA to return home.

Jackie Kemp (from Wales) lived here. A friend of Fred Ruckley (No 19), they appear in a photo together dated 1946.

Peter Broadbridge was tenant here in the 1950s - son Mark had No 129 in the 1970s prior to the closure.

Arthur & Sheila Strudwick arrived in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528), still on the Tenants Register in 1976, but no leaving date.

No 2:
Edward Waugh arrived in 1936 from Haltwhistle, Northumberland. The family left for Surrey in June 1939 (School Admissions Register)

Fred Phillips was here during World War II, he appears in the photo of the Keynor Home Guard, but no arrival or departure dates.

Reg & Joan Brown were here in 1966 (LSA Bulletin 919). Reg was Cornish. No arrival date, but the family left in September 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1035) and moved to Hawaii Nursery in Titchfield.

John Swain arrived in October 1968 (Bulletin 1037). He was one of 4 tenants who transferred from Elmsthorpe LSA in Leicestershire prior to its closure. John remained as a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983, naming his house 'Numereuxdeux'.

Next
-

Cow Lane

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Walking away from the school . . . . . just before turning into Cow Lane notice No 39 with its distinctive name!

Next
-

Keynor Farm House

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Keynor Farm House and 290 acres of farmland were purchased in 1935 for £13,333. It became the home of the LSA Managers (Hugh Campbell (First Warden) in 1936, Bertie Cutler (early 1940s). Bill Constable (1945-52), George Sutton (1952-64), AJS Cox (1964-65) and Tom Scott (1965-83). Keynor Hut is located right of the main gate behind the hedge. The original 'settlers' lived here during their training. It then hosted meetings and provided community facilities: pre-school, brownies, guides, parties, dances, whist drives and Sidlesham WI.

People with links to this location:
Mr Edward Rigg
Edit Edward Rigg

Next More
-

No 3a: Honeysuckle Cottage

Edit This Location

This was an LSA staff house. Eric Wiseman, the LSA Estate Accountant, was living here in September 1959 (Bulletin 574). No arrival date? He transferred to Newbourne LSA in 1961.

Next
-

Nos 3 & 4:

Edit This Location

No 3: (Now Highfield Nursery)
Originally the Propagation Unit (props) for the Keynor Estate where seedlings and young plants were raised, then delivered to the smallholdings for the tenants to plant out.

Issac Saunders' children were admitted to the school in January 1937 having previously attended a school in Wheatley Hill, County Durham. A later entry in the School Admissions Register (April 1937) shows the family living at No 45.

Lew Issacs lived here after World War II before becoming Property Maintenance Manager, moving to No 58 Fletchers (in Rotten Row).

Charlie White (no arrival date) was living here in November 1962 (LSA Bulletin 736) The White family left in September 1973 following the death of Mr White.(LSA Bulletin 1280)

Mick Campbell arrived in October 1973 (LSA Bulletin 1298) and remained as a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.

No 4:
Harry & Dot Richardson were tenants here between 1955 and 1977.

JW Chapman arrived in October 1977 (LSA Bulletin 1505) and stayed on after the closure in 1983 as a Sidlesham Grower.

Next More
-

4a: LSA staff house

Edit This Location

George Umpleby was living here in 1969. He was Assistant Manager at the Packing Shed and was later promoted to Manager at Chawston LSA in December 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1153)

Next
-

Nos 5 & 6:

Edit This Location

No 5:
Fred Drummond's children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1937, having previously attended a school in Scotswood, Newcastle. They 'left the district' in March 1938.

William Longhosts' children were also registered at No 5, having previously been at school in Spalding, Lincolnshire. They were admitted to the school in October 1937 and the family moved to Chichester in September 1939.

Emanuel Wright's children were also registered at No 5 and admitted to the school in January 1938, having previously attended a school in Rose Street, Newcastle. The family 'returned north' in September 1939. (School Admissions Register)

Jos Aitchison moved here from No 61 (no date) Josh was born in Long Benton, North Tyneside and worked as a tram driver in Wallsend before arriving in Sidlesham in 1936 as one of the team of roadbuilders. He then stayed on as an LSA staff member.

No 6:
George Jackson lived here in January 1937 before moving to No 43.(Keynor Lane) when the address was changed in the School Admissions Register.The children had previously attended a school in Broompark, County Durham.

Fenwick Whitfield came from Benfieldside, County Durham. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1938. The family 'returned north' in December 1939 (Schools Admissions Register)

John Storey 'Jack' Little and Norah moved here from Gateshead in about 1939. "My mum said she used to walk to school and thought it was a long way for her 5 year old legs! " (Janet Dowling, Grand-daughter)

Bet Johnson still lives at No 6. Husband Pete was as an LSA lorry driver, then became a tenant and later a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983. Bet used to look after the children in Keynor hut while the mothers were working in the packing shed. Bet's son David was a tenant at No 106 Batchmere.

Next
-

No 7a:

Edit This Location

Haygrove / Sidlesham

Next More
-

Nos 7 & 8:

Edit This Location

No 7:
Henry Charlton was living here when his children were admitted to the school in July 1936, having previously attended the Collliery Board School in Hebburn. The family moved to Fishbourne in December 1936.

Bill Corner arrived in 1936 from West Hartlepool where he had been a shipbuilder. He was one of the team of roadbuilders who built Chalk, Street End and Fletchers Lanes, which prior to the LSA had been open farmland. Bill then stayed on as a tenant until September 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1140).

Pete & Kath White arrived in September 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1141), on Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.

No 8:
Henry Halker was a tenant here in July 1936 when his children were admitted to the school, having previously attended the Colliery Board School in Hebburn. The family left for London in June 1938.

Dud & Joy Ward were tenants here in the 1950s.

Peter Slade became a tenant in October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193) and was a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.

Next More
-

Nos 9 & 10:

Edit This Location

No 9:
Nicholas Greener and wife Ivy arrived from Newcastle in 1936. Their children attended Sidlesham School from September 1936, having previously attended Haworth School. The family moved to Selsey in 1937. 4 sons revisited the estate in 1996 (Chichester Observer)

Jemina McIntosh came from Knowl Top (Leeds/Sheffield ?). Her children were admitted to the school in January 1938. The family left for Wisborough Green in June 1938. (Schools Admissions Register)

The Ogdens (no arrival date) were here in 1958 (LSA Bulletin No 528). On the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.

RJ Hutchins was the tenant at the time of the closure in 1983 and became a Sidlesham Grower.

No 10:
William Ellson arrived in 1936. The School Admissions Register has no information about previous address - the family left for Shopwhyke, Chichester in August 1940.

Douglas & Elsie Booth (1952-60) Douglas's brother Don was at No 15.

John & Pat Hurndall (1960 - 1986)

Next More
-

Nos 11 & 12:

Edit This Location

No 11:
John Dunn lived here from 1945 to 1953. He used his demob money (back pay from the army for time spent in a POW camp) to secure the smallholding.

No arrival date for the Bowdens. A H Bowden retired to reside in Chichester in September 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1449)

The Gleadle family became tenants in October 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1452), leaving in October 1982 (LSA Bulletin 1764).

Mr & Mrs Stride moved into No 11 (Cow Lane) in October 1982. No departure date, but family name is not on the list of Sidlesham Growers in 1983.

No 12:
In 1936 Dickie Cowan arrived. He had been a miner at Dean & Chapter Colliery (?) near Ferryhill, 7 miles south of Durham. He retired from the smallholding in 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1140)

Martin & Lynda Samuels moved in October 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1141) and stayed until 1973.

Ray & Pearl Bill arrived from Wisborough Green in 1973. They left to open a nursery at Apuldram in 1984.

A. Weissenborn (no arrival date) was on the register of Sidlesham Growers in 1989.

Next More
-

No 13: Landseer House

Edit This Location

Thomas Oliver arrived in 1936 from East Jarrow. The family left for Leicester in October 1937. One of the children spent 3 months at Stanmore Orthopaedic Hospital. (School Admissions Register).

The School Admissions Register also records Edward Jackson's children being admitted on 6th July 1937, having previously been at St Matthews Street School, Irishtown. The children 'left the district' on 23rd July 1937.

Gordon & Mary Fox arrived in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) and were still here in 1969 (LSA Bulletin 1088) No departure date, but they left for Reynards Nursery at Ferring.

John & Lottie Boyles arrived October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193) and were Sidlesham Growers until 1998.

Next
-

Tonges Cottage

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

At the end of Cow Lane, previously known as Cow Watering Lane, is Tonges Cottage. Purchased by the LSA as part of Keynor Farm and used to accommodate LSA workers, including Fred Willis, an electrician on the Maintenance Team and tractor driver, Bill Stubbs.

Chalk Lane, to the left, was built for the LSA, having previously been open farmland. The photograph shows the road builders including Bill Corner who later became a tenant at No 7.

Next More
-

Nos 14 & 15:

Edit This Location

No 14:
John Fulham arrived in 1936. His children had previously attended Walkergate School in Newcastle. The family 'left the district' for Plymouth in April 1939. (School Admissions Register)

Les and Marie Everdell (no arrival date) were here in October 1958. Les was Chair of the Tenants Association at that time (LSA Bulletin 528)

Nelson & Marilyn Coppard arrived in October 1962. (LSA Bulletin 730) The family stayed on the holding until 2014.

No 15:
Frederick McParlin's children were admitted to Sidlesham School in December 1937, having previously attended St. Michaels, Houghton Le Spring, County Durham. The family 'returned north' in September 1939 (Schools Admissions Register)

Don & Freda Booth arrived in February 1954, snow on the ground and Freda six months pregnant. The Booths became Sidlesham Growers after the closure.

Next More
-

Nos 16 & 17:

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

No 16:
Edward Rigg's son Edward was admitted to Sidlesham School in October 1936, having previously attended a school in Hendon, near Sunderland. Mr Rigg was 'orderly of the day' at Keynor Farm House preparing eggs for the Littlers (No 32) on their arrival.

Frank and Madge Everley were here in May 1966 (LSA Bulletin 914) and were selling hay in June 1969 (LSA Bulletin 1074). No arrival or departure dates.

John & Patsy Corbett arrived in October 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1141). The family left in September 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1604) and bought a nursery in Hunston.

Andy & Pauline James arrived October 1979 LSA Bulletin 1608) No departure date.

No 17:
Arthur Smith's children were admitted to Sidlesham School on 23rd September 1936. They had previously attended a school in Leadgate, County Durham. They 'left the district' in 1939 (no destination in the Schools Admissions Register)

'Geordie' Forth, a miner from Silksworth Colliery in Ryehope, South of Sunderland, arrived in 1937 with his wife Margaret and 7 children. According to the School Admissions Register the family 'left the district' in December 1939. (See 'More' below).

Doug and Kathleen Mitchell were tenants in August 1962 (LSA Bulletin 725) Doug became a Chichester District Councillor. He died in June 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1435)

Next More
-

Footpath To Selsey Road

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

As the lane turns sharply to the left notice a footpath straight ahead leading to Selsey Road and four smallholdings (Nos 18-21).

Miner Fred Ruckley from Rhondda Valley arrived in 1939. His holding No 19 is now an award winning garden.

No 22: By the time John Graves arrived in 1952 qualifications, experience and finance had replaced unemployment as the criteria required by the LSA.

People with links to this location:
Mr John Graves
Edit John Graves

Next More
-

Nos 18 & 19:

Edit This Location

No 18:
John Oxenham arrived in January 1937 from Newbottle in County Durham. The family left the district in April 1938.

John Buckley came from Southwick, Sunderland. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in March 1938 and one left in April 1943. (School Admissions Register) No family departure date.

Bill Underwood arrived after the war and earned a reputation for recycling material from the council 'dump' where the RSPB Visitor Centre now stands. He was still on the Tenants Register in 1976, but no leaving date.

No 19:
John Smith's children were admitted to Sidlesham School on 14th December 1936, having previously attended Hebburn Colliery Board School. The family 'returned north' in July 1938 (Schools Admissions Register).

Fred Ruckley arrived here in 1939 from Tonypandy, where he had been a miner in the Rhondda Valley where there were 79 collieries.

Mr & Mrs Worley left in September 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1604) no arrival date.

Paul & Pat Harris arrived in October 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1608). Paul was the son of a local policeman and Pat's parents were LSA tenants at Batchmere. Paul and Pat became Sidlesham Growers in 1983.

Monica Lucas and Anne arrived in 2001 and transformed the former smallholding into a stunning garden which they open to the public at certain times of the year.

Next
-

No 20 & 21:

Edit This Location

No 20:
Alfred Potts' children were admitted to Sidlesham School in December 1936, having previously attended St Bedes (RC) Junior School in Jarrow. The family 'returned north' in June 1938 (Schools Admissions Register)

George Harris (no arrival date) was here in February 1965 (LSA Bulletin 852) and on the Tenants Register in 1976, no departure date.

No 21:
E. Brockley was the tenant in December 1969 (LSA Bulletin 586) He retired to Chichester in September 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1449)

Allan Campbell arrived in October 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1452) and was a Sidlesham Grower in 1991.

Next
-

Nos 22 & 23:

Edit This Location

No 22: John Bailey, a ship's riveter from North Shields until an industrial accident lost the sight of one eye before the days of health and safety. Daughter Mary was admitted to the school in January 1938, having previously attended Queen Victoria School,in North Shields. "Dad arrived late 1937, the family followed in early 1938. Mum and dad worked the land until 1947 when they moved to Selsey. John was in the Sidlesham Home Guard and awarded a certificate for service 12th June 1940 to 31st December 1944." (Joan Crees, daughter) The LSA connection stayed with the family as son-in-law Norman Crees worked in the LSA offices in the 1960s.

By the time John Graves arrived in 1952 qualifications, experience and finance had replaced unemployment as the criteria to join the LSA. John became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.

No 23: (Now Applefield)
William and Hilda Hindson came from Haltwhistle near Carlisle in the 'first wave'. William was an avid fan of Carlisle United. Children Harry, Herbert & Christopher had previously attended Herdley Bank School. Christopher left the school in August 1944, but no departure date for the family.

Walter & Charlotte 'Ciss' Bridger arrived on 5th November 1954 having managed watercress beds in Croyden. Charlotte was Secretary of the WI in the 1970s (LSA Bulletin 1252). The family retired to East Wittering in 1979.

Andy Boorman was a tenant at the time of the closure and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983 before moving to Australia.

Next More
-

No 24 & 25:

Edit This Location

No 24:
Albert Ashworth's children were admitted to Sidlesham School in October 1936, having previously attended a school in Backworth, Northumberland. The family returned to North Shields in November 1937 (Schools Admissions Register).

Albert Grey's children were admitted to the school in January 1937, having previously attended Colliery School in Hebburn. The School Admissions Register records that the family left the district, but no departure date.

Jack Wade came to the LSA as a Horticultural Adviser - he then became a tenant. Son Chris was a tenant at No 79 Fletchers.

No 25:
Edward Wilson's children were admitted to Sidlesham School on 19th October 1936, having previously attended a school in Castletown, Sunderland. The family 'left for North Mundham', but no date in the Schools Admissions register.

Robert Johnson came from Byers Green in County Durham. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in September 1937 and were evacuated by their parents in May 1941. (School Admissions Register) No family departure dates.

H. Weston was on the Tenants Register in 1976 (No arrival or departure dates)

Next
-

Nos 26 & 27:

Edit This Location

No 26: (Staff House)
George Collingwood's three children were admitted to Sidlesham School in November 1936, having previously attended a school in High Westwood, County Durham. The family 'returned north' in July 1938 (Schools Admissions Register)

Herbert Bailey's children were admitted to the school in March 1938, having previously attended a school in Annitsford, Newcastle. The family 'returned north' in November 1938. (School Admissions Register)

Lorry driver, Derek Simpson was living here in December 1959 (LSA Bulletin 589).

No 27: (Staff House)
William Campbell's children (Annie, Audrey & Daniel) were admitted to Sidlesham School in November 1936, having previously attended Haworth Colliery School in County Durham. The family left for Donnington in January 1938 (Schools Admissions Register)

Jack Campbell was here in 1981 (LSA Bulletin 1722)

Next
-

Nos 28 & 29:

Edit This Location

No 28:
Michael Wake (no arrival date) was a tenant here in July 1967 (LSA Bulletin), taking over the holding after the death of his father (?) He became a Sidlesham Grower until 1986. His brother Phillip was at No 43 Keynor.

No 29:
John & Phyll Humphries arrived in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) from Abbots Ann LSA (near Andover) and retired to Bognor in September 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1449).

Jack Handford arrived in October 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1452 and was still a Sidlesham Grower in 1991.

Next
-

No 30:

Edit This Location

John Jobling's children were admitted to Sidlsham School in January 1937 having previously attended a school in Hamsteels, County Durham. The family 'left for Guildford' in October 1937 (School Admissions Register)

John Maltby's children were admitted to the school in January 1938, having previously attended Hilton Road Boys in Sunderland. No departure date.

Arthur Simmonds was a tenant here in 1962 (LSA Bulletin 730) and he became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.

Next
-

Nos 31 & 32:

Edit This Location

No 31: (Staff house)
Alexander Kelly arrived in 1936 and 'left the district' in April 1938. His children had attended Herdley Bank School, Haltwhistle, Northumberland before joining Sidlesham School. (School Admissions Register).

LSA staff house. Mr Appleton lived here in the early days. He was in charge of shire horses which pulled carts collecting produce from the tenants. The stables were probably at the Packing Shed.

Later Peter Jackson, an LSA lorry driver, lived here.

Alan Tarrant, Assistant Estate Manager, lived here in January 1982 (LSA Bulletin 1729)

No 32:
William 'Bill' Littler arrived in 1936, an ex-green sand iron moulder (in the shipbuilding industry) from South Shields. The School Admissions Register records that his children Bernard and Joy had previously attended school in Mortimer Road, South Shields. An article about him appeared in the Daily Express, June 27th 1939. Some years later his wife Amelia wrote a moving story about the family's journey to Sidlesham in the Tenants Newsletter. (See 'More' below) Bill died in March 1962 in Chidham.

Mr Rowlands left in April 1967 (no arrival date)

Don Bowden moved into No 32 (Chalk Lane) in April 1967 (LSA Bulletin 961) and were still on the smallholding in 2007 (Census data)

Next More
-

No 33 & 34:

Edit This Location

No 33:
Joseph Binyon was living here when his children were admitted to the school in July 1936, having previously attended St. Peters School in Jarrow. The family left for Chichester in February 1937. (School Admissions Register)

The School Admissions Register also records Robert Williamson living at No 33 in 1936. His children had previously attended St Oswalds in Hebburn.

Dougie and Doris Hale (no arrival date) were tenants in 1959 (LSA Bulletin 543) and became Sidlesham Growers in 1983.

No 34:
George Santon arrived in 1936. His 6 children had previously attended St. Oswalds in Hebburn. (School Admissions register) No departure date.

John & Ann Murray Brown 1954-1969. As a young child son Mark remembers seeing shire horses collecting LSA produce from the smallholdings.

The Bullards arrived in 1969 (LSA Bulletin 1062) and became Sidlesham Growers in 1983.

Next More
-

Packing Shed

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Keynor Farm (Industrial Estate) was the LSA Packing Shed, Stores & Offices. All the tenants' produce was brought here to be graded, packed and sent off to market. In addition to the 120 tenants, the LSA was major employer in the area. Selling privately ('flogging') was an offence : "He was selling more down the Highleigh Pound than was going to packing shed and he got his cards".
The stores carried 'a stock of over 800 items'. Office staff administered tenants accounts (Passbooks) and managed the marketing of the produce.

Next More
-

35 A & B:

Edit This Location

These properties were built for LSA lorry drivers. Tom Scott, the last LSA Manager, moved to 35A when Keynor House was sold following the closure of the LSA in 1983.

Next
-

Nos 35 & 36:

Edit This Location

No 35:
Thomas & Ruth Purcell arrived from Jarrow in 1936 where Thomas had worked in the shipyards. Ruth is on the front row of the photograph of the original settlers. Thomas died in 1940, but according to the Schools Admissions Register the family didn't 'leave the district' until July 1957.

The Schools Admissions Register also shows Fred Smith at No 35. His children were admitted to the school in December 1937, having previously attended Cruddas Park School in Newcastle. The family 'returned north' in June 1938.

Lesley and Nellie Jackson were here in the 1940s - son Ronald was admitted to the primary school in January 1944 (School Admissions Register). Wife Nellie (Mary Ellen) was the daughter of Lance Edwards, the original tenant at No 38).

No 36:
Daniel Cusack came from Newcastle in 1936 and returned home in 1939.

Walter & Lily Dixon arrived before the war. His Landlord Glasshouse was replaced following a draw amongst the tenants in 1967. (LSA Bulletin 898). He became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.

Next More
-

Nos 37 & 38:

Edit This Location

No 37:
John McQueen was tenant here in 1936. His 4 children had previously attended Walker RC School in Newcastle. The family left for Dagenham in June 1937. (School Admissions Register).

Malcolm & Gladys Roberts were tenants in 1969 (LSA Bulletin 1089) and were Sidlesham Growers until 1991.

No 38:
Lance Edwards, a miner from Elswick Coliery, Newcastle, arrived in 1936. His wife Anne and 7 children joined him six months later. Still on the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date. His relations still live in Sidlesham.

Giles Peare was a tenant at the time of the closure (no arrival date) and he was a Sidlesham Grower in 1986. He now writes a gardening aolumn for The Selsey Life.

Next More
-

No 39 & 40 (on Keynor Lane)

Edit This Location

No 39: El-Es-Ay
'Darkie' Kemp, an iron moulder (shipbuilder) from West Hartlepool, arrived in 1936, the youngest of the early settlers at 28. He was renowned for working with horses and became proficient at ploughing. His wife Grace ran Sunday School at Keynor Hut. The property was named 'El-Es-Ay' after the closure.

No 40:
Alfred Stibbings' children were admitted to Sidlesham school in January 1937, having previously attended a school in Hornsey, County Durham. The family 'left the district' in July 1937 (School Admissions Register)

John Williams' children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1938, having previously attended a school in Annitsford, Northumberland. The family 'returned north' in March 1939 (Schools Admissions Register).

Simmons was a tenant in August 1963 (LSA Bulletin 776). No arrival or departure dates.

Noel & Jenny Bettridge (no arrival date) were here in August 1964 (LSA Bulletin 569) and on the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.

Next
-

Nos 41 & 42:

Edit This Location

No 41: Deanhome
William Longworth's children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1938. No information about previous schools/location or departure dates.

JE Freeman was a tenant here in August 1959 (LSA Bulletin 569) No arrival or departure dates.

Pat Croft (no arrival date) was a tenant here in May 1962 (LSA Bulletin 710). The family left in September 1972 (LSA Bulletin 1244).

Stuart Mitchell arrived in September 1972 (LSA Bulletin 1245) and was a Sidlesham Grower in 1991

The smallholding at Deanholme is now farmed by Haygrove Sidlesham.

No 42:
George Hornsby's 4 children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1937, having previously attended schools (Wingrove & Pendower Technical) in Newcastle. The family 'left for Surrey' in May 1940. (School Admissions Register)

Doug Lichfield arrived from Wales in 1946, after the American soldiers had moved out. The family stayed until September 1979.

Keith Homer was a tenant at the time of the closure in 1983 and became a Sidlesham Grower.

Next More
-

Nos 43 & 44:

Edit This Location

No 43: Barnfield
George Jackson moved here from No 6 (Schools Admissions Register). The children had previously attended a school in Broompark, County Durham. They were 'removed to Reading' in May 1940.

Bernard Littler (son of Bill at No 32) was a tenant here until Sept 1969 (Bulletin 1086). No arrival date.

Ted & Brenda Wilkins arrived in 1969 (LSA Bulletin 1086) and were Sidlesham Growers in 1986.

No 44:
Percy King's children were admitted to Sidlesham School in April 1938. No previous school or location information. The family 'left the district' for Essex in November 1938.

Ivor and Joy Dawkins were tenants here in June 1959 (LSA Bulletin 562) No arrival date, they left in September 1965 (LSA Bulletin 880).

PA. Johns took over in 1965 until September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 984)

Phillip Wake, brother of Michael at No 28 Keynor, took over September 1967 (Bulletin 985) and was a Sidlesham Grower until 1986.

Ian & Linda Ford arrived in 1986.

Next More
-

No 45: Acer Leigh

Edit This Location

Issac Saunders' daughter Maisie was admitted to Sidlesham School in April 1937,An earlier entry in the School Admissions Register (January 1937) shows that the family had previously lived at No 3, having arrived from County Durham. Maisie was 'removed' from the school in March 1940.

Two generations of the Bailey family then lived here, with the family being 'evacuated' to Mutton Farm House when the property was badly damaged by a bomb during World War II.

Eddie Lever was a tenant here in March 1959 (Bulletin 549) and left in September 1972 (LSA Bulletin 1244) No arrival date.

Peter Richardson arrived in 1972 and moved to Richardson's Nursery, Birdham in September 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1604)

Trevor 'Wil' & Becky Wilson arrived in October 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1608), became Sidlesham Growers until 1990and are now (2015) independent growers;

Next More
-

Ivy Grange

Edit This Location

Local interest - Eric Coates, composer of 'Sleepy Lagoon', the theme tune of 'Desert Island Discs', and 'The Dam Busters March' lived here in the 1930s. (Kelly'Directory 1938). One of nine properties he lived in locally. No sooner had the family moved in and his wife would reputedly say "I have just found this house . . . . .

Next
-

No 46: Rose Farm

Edit This Location

Geoffrey Smithard was here in July 1959 (LSA Bulletin 567) July 1959) He was Secretary of the Tenants Association in the 1960 with a further reference in July 1966 (LSA Bulletin 919) No departure date, but left to buy a nursery in Bell Lane, Birdham..

Fred Willis, an electrician on the LSA Maintenance Unit left Tonges Cottage to become a tenant here in September 1966 (LSA Bulletin 934). On the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.

Next
-

Mutton Farm House

Edit This Location

During World War II the children from No 45 were 'evacuated' here when a bomb landed between the apple trees on the smallholding and blew the windows out of the house. (Becky Wilson)

Next
-

Selsey Road

Edit This Location

Change The Picture Change The Picture

To the right of the T junction with Selsey Road was The Jolly Fisherman Pub, Combes Bakery and further down Mill Lane Gnapps Stores where locals could place their grocery orders for delivery and The Crab & Lobster, a favourite watering hole for the tractor drivers.

Next More
-

Recreation Ground

Edit This Location

The site for No 47 and 48, but never built. The land was given to Sidlesham Parish in 1956 by the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food on the basis that it would be used for sporting facilities and recreation. The LSA held Gymkhanas here in the 1960's to raise money for a new pavilion.

Next More
-

No 49:

Edit This Location

Fred & Myra Dixon and five children arrived in 1937. They came from Willington in County Durham where Fred had been a miner at Brancepeth Colliery. Fred's daughter, also named Myra, married Jack Whatley, they took over the holding in 1959 and remained there as Sidlesham Growers until Mike Foster bought the property (now called Oak End Nursery) in 1985.

Next More
-

No 50: Kibblesworth

Edit This Location

John McDonald came from High Barnes, Sunderland. His children were admitted to Sidlesham school in December 1937. The family 'returned north' in October 1939. (Schools Admissions Register).

John 'Jack' Dixon arrived in 1939, with his wife Hannah, having first been allocated Chawsden LSA in Bedfordshire. He requested a change to Sidlesham to be next to his brother Fred (No 49) Jack had worked at Allerdene Colliery, Low Fell (Tyne & Wear) where he had been a horseman, working with pit ponies. He had been unemployed for a total of 13 years before moving to Sidlesham. Son Norman took over the holding in 1959 and still retains his Geordie accent. He named the property Kibblesworth, a village near where he was born, to "bring a bit of the north country down south".

Next More
-

No 51: Jakes Nursery

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Archibald Scott's children were admitted to the school in October 1937, having come from Walkergate in Newcastle. The family 'left for Portsmouth' in November 1939.

Liam Gribbon was a tenant here in July 1967 (LSA Bulletin 974) He left in December 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1464)

Ken and Jan Parkinson arrived in January 1977 (LSA Bulletin 1465 and set up Jakes Nursery.

Next More
-

Village Sign

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Fletcher's Estate (No 49-89). Contrast No 50 with its near original house, piggery, chicken battery and wooden Dutch lights with the four acres of glasshouses, some 5.5m high, at Jakes Nursery, No.51. This nursery produces 1.4 million punnets of tomatoes annually and uses the latest computer systems which enable the grower to monitor the well-being of the plants, even whilst on holiday.

People with links to this location:
Ken & Jan Parkinson
Edit Ken & Jan Parkinson

Next More
-

No 52: Mallands Nursery

Edit This Location

The village bobby (PC Dutton) lived here during the war, before a police house was built on the corner of Church Farm Lane.

The Slaymakers moved into No 52 Fletchers (Selsey Road) on a cold February day in 1947 and stayed until 1962. (Read 'More' below).

Walter Back arrived after the Slaymakers and stayed until September 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1604)

Mike Foster arrived in October 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1608) and became a Sidlesham Grower (at Mallands Nursery) after the closure in 1983.

Next More
-

No 53: Swallow Nursery

Edit This Location

Harry Smith came from Amble in Northumberland. His children were admitted to Sidlesham school in November 1937. The family 'returned to Newcastle' in August 1941. (Schools Admissions Register)

Martin and Ann Evans arrived in 1948. Martin was a tenant until the closure in 1983 and remained on the smallholding until his death in 2013.

Next
-

Petrol Station

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Lander's Garage in 1950's. A You Tube video is available showing children playing on the grass verge and an absence of traffic on the B2145!

Next More
-

No 54:

Edit This Location

Lawrence Stimpson's children were admitted to the school in October 1937 having previously been at schools in North Shields. The family 'returned to Jarrow' in May 1838. (Schools Admissions Register)

The Heath family arrived from North Mundham in January 1948 and stayed until the Autumn of 1957. In 1994 daughter Marianne wrote a book, 'Sit and Sing Small', about her experiences growing up on the LSA.

Percy and Ruby Stone were tenants after the Heaths until September 1976 when they moved to Bosham. (LSA Bulletin 1449)

Bo & Carol Stamp arrived in October 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1452) and were Sidlesham Growers in 1986.

Next
-

No 55:

Edit This Location

Robert Richardson came from Bolam Street, Newcastle. His children were admitted to the school in November 1937. Marjorie Alice Richardson's name is on a gravestone dated 1938 in St. Marys churchyard. The burial register records that she lived at No 55 and had been born in Durham. The family 'returned north' in July 1939. (School Admissions Register)

The Bright family were tenants pre-1956.

Christopher Cox arrived in 1956. He was Secretary of the Tenants Association in the 1960s (LSA Bulletins), died in September 1964 and the family moved to Chichester in 1965.

Eric Van Ejwik, arrived in October 1965 (LSA Bulletin 882) with his wife and two children (Patrick and Miriam) via Bracklesham Bay, Ireland and Holland. in 1995 he rented out the smallholding and moved next door to a bungalow previously owned by Fred Stacey, the local blacksmith.

Next More
-

No 58 & 59 (Rotten Row)

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

The field opposite the pub was originally a Propagation Unit for the Fletchers Estate.

No 58:
Picture taken in 1958.

Lew Issacs moved to No 58 (from No 3) in 1947 as the first LSA Property Manager in 1947. He left in 1955.

John Smart succeeded Lew issacs in 1955. Another LSA family connection here as John's wife, Liz, used to spend some of her school holidays as a teenager at Keynor House with her uncle, George Sutton, who was manager of the LSA at that time. Liz, an active Parish councillor for many years, still lives at No 58 (2015)

No 59:
The original 'settler' may have been named Dunn.

John Nergaard came from Percy Main in North Shields. His children were admitted to the school in November 1937. The family 'returned north' in November 1938. (School Admissions Register)

Mike and Mary Overal were tenants here in September 1961 (LSA Bulletin 676) No arrival date, but they left in January 1975 (LSA Bulletin 1366).

David & Gloria Chapman arrived in 1975 (LSA Bulletin 1372) and were still Sidlesham Growers in 1986.

Next More
-

The Grey Stag Public House

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Opposite the Grey Stag Inn (The Anchor until 2015) is Rotten Row (Nos 58 & 59). The field on the corner was a propagation unit for the Fletcher's Estate. Church Lane by the side of the pub leads to Nos 56 & 57 and St. Mary's 13th Century Church. Directly ahead are Nos 61-68 in Street End Lane.

People with links to this location:
Mr Lew Isaacs
Edit Lew Isaacs
Bill Bushby
Edit Bill Bushby

Next More
-

Nos 56 & 57 (Church Lane)

Edit This Location

Church Lane by the side of the pub leads to St. Mary's 13th Century Church and Chalder Lane.

No 56:
Hiliery Agnew was at No 56 Fletchers (Chalder Lane). His children were admitted to Sidlesham school in May 1937, having previously attended a school in Long Benton, Newcastle. No family departure date, but one of the children left the school (age exempt) in July 1945.

Bertie & Gladys Cutler followed the Agnews (post 1945). Bertie had been an LSA Manager living at Keynor Farm House before becoming a tenant on this smallholding. Son Dennis & wife Joan took over the tenancy in 1955 and remained on the holding until 21st September 1986.

No 57:
Alf & Dorothy Bowler arrived in about 1945 and left in the early 1960s. Alf's brother Stan was at No 115 Batchmere.

Fred Fosberry (no arrival date) was here in August 1963 (LSA Bulletin 775) On the Tenants register in 1976, but no departure date.

Peter Young was a Sidlesham Grower here in 1983.

Next More
-

Nos 61 & 62 (Street End Lane)

Edit This Location

No 61:
Josh Aitchison arrived as a roadbuilder in 1936 and stayed on as an LSA member of staff. He later moved to No 5 Keynor (Cow Lane) See 'more' below.

Frank Green came from Graythorpe, near Hartlepool. His children were admitted to the school in September 1937. No departure date.

Les Martin was a tenant here in April 1964 (LSA Bulletin 809) & 1967. No arrival or departure dates.

Peter Francis arrived in October 1971 (Bulletin 1193) and was a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.

No 62:
Thomas Bishop, a steel worker from Durham, arrived in 1936. His wife Zillah and four children joined him six months later. Daughters Muriel and Eileen were admitted to Sidlesham School in April 1937 having previously attended St Aidan's School in West Hartlepool. Muriel left the school in March 1945, no departure date for the family.

Harry Cliff arrived in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) and was still here in 1970 (LSA Bulletin), but no departure date.

John Ayling was a Sidlesham Grower in 1983 and 1991.

Next More
-

Nos 63 & 64 (Street End Lane)

Edit This Location

No 63:
The first tenant may have been named McCaffrey, followed by Ben & Ann Newton (a business partner of David Cross at No 66)

F.R. Mansbridge was on the Tenants' Register in 1976.

Malcolm Cawte was a Sidlesham Grower after the closure (no arrival date) and the smallholding is now part of Haygrove Sidlesham.

No 64:
Colin Kelly (No 64?) was a miner from Spennymoor, County Durham. One of the first tenants "he made his fortune during the war and retired back to the north". (Sue Cole, grand-daughter)

Walter and Louise Cross arrived here in 1938 from Abertillery where Walter had been a miner. The family moved to Chichester in 1957.

Francis 'Frank' Greatorex took over in 1957 (reference to the family in LSA Bulletin 528, October 1958). The family became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.

Next More
-

Nos 65 & 66 (Street End Lane)

Edit This Location

No 65:
A 'fragmented' smallholding with the land on the other side of the lane from the house.

James Grey's children were admitted to Sidlesham school in April 1937 having previously attended a school in Hebburn, County Durham. The School Admissions Register records that one of the children 'left for Chichester' in April 1938.

Charlie Hall arrived in 1956 and left in September 1965 (LSA Bulletin 880). His son John (& Anne) Hall were also tenants at No 116 (Second Avenue) Batchmere from 1972 to 1978.

David Pendock moved in October 1965 (LSA Bulletin 882) and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure until 1991.

No 66:
Benjamin Lee's children were admitted to Sidlesham school in April 1937 having previously attended Western School in Wallsend, Newcastle. The family 'returned north' in April 1939. (Schools Admissions Register)

The Haymen family were here in 1943, their son left the primary school in June to return to Abertillery.

William 'Bill' Cross, son of Walter at No 64, and his wife Marjorie were tenants here from 1956. Fourth generation great grandson Ben continues the family's horticultural tradition managing Woodlands Flower Nursery at Walberton.

Reginald Harris left in September 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1035) No arrival date.

John Allan arrived in 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1037) from Elmsthorpe LSA in Leicestershire, becoming a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983, he died in 2014.

Next More
-

Nos 67 & 68 (Street End Lane)

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

No 67:
James Ostle(r) arrived from Stanley, County Durham. His children were admitted to Sidlesham school in April 1937, having previously attended Greenland School, Stanley, County Durham. (School Admissions Register) No departure date.

No 68:
The first tenant may have been named Gibson.

Bill Bushby arrived in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) He ran Sidlesham Sea Scouts based on the smallholding for over 20 years His son Richard took over in 1980 and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure. He built a maze on the smallholding in 2002 which has been open to the public raising more than £20,000 for charity.

Next More
-

No 60 (Street End Road)

Edit This Location

John Scott came from Westgate, Newcastle. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1938. The family 'returned north' in July 1938 (School Admissions Register)

The Voss family were original 'settlers' and the family were still on the smallholding as Sidlesham Growers in 1991.

Next
-

Street End Cottages

Edit This Location

Originally tied cottages these properties were purchased by the LSA as part of Street End Farm.

No 1:
The Young family live here. Bert Young (senior) worked at Street End Farm and then for the LSA. His son, also Bert, was born in the house and later worked at the LSA Propagation Unit. A fantastic memory for names Bert has been a great research assistant for the heritage trail and was one of the stars of our film.

No 2:
Jack Matthews was an early Horticultural Adviser, appointed by the government to help train the early tenants. He moved from here to No 58 and then moved off the LSA to work for Framptons after the war. . . . . . . . . . . .
Arthur Blackman's children were admitted to the school in January 1936. The family left for Shropshire in 1941 (School Admissions Register)

Next
-

Street End Farm & Barn

Edit This Location

The farm house at Street End was not part of the purchase when the LSA acquired the land and the barn.

Originally the barn had stables for shire horses to transport the produce and other materials around the estate. Later the barn became the base for the Maintenance Unit, managed first by Lew Issacs and then John Smart.

Next More
-

Dyers Corner (#69)

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Dyers Corner named after Elsie Dyer who had a corner shop here in 1938. The shop then became a grocers and Post Office run by Mr Dyson. Dink Atkey built the garage in the 1950s and Fred Stacey had his forge.

People with links to this location:
Mr Fred Stacy
Edit Fred Stacy
Elsie Dyer
Edit Elsie Dyer
Mr Dyson
Edit Dyson
Dink Atkey
Edit Dink Atkey

Next More
-

Nos 69 & 70 (Lane End)

Edit This Location

No 69:
Originally a Propagation Unit for the Fletchers Estate, the first tenant may have been named McKenzie.

Mrs S. J. Steadman's children were admitted to Sidlesham school in June 1937, having previously attended school in Cornsay, County Durham. The family 'left the district' in March 1939.

The Brown family (no arrival date) returned to Hebburn in 1943 (School Admissions Register)

Peter Braybon was here in July 1961 (LSA Bulletin 666) and he became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983. No arrival date.

No 70:
C.A. Holley was here in January 1959 (LSA Bulletin 542) Joan Holley was Secretary of Fletchers Hut at that time. No arrival or departure dates

Tony & Pam Marsh were tenants here in August 1964 (LSA Bulletin 827) No arrival date, the family left in September 1969 (LSA Bulletin 1086). Pam was the daughter of Thomas Newton (No 87), who arrived in 1939 from South Shields.

Roger King was here in September 1965 (LSA Bulletin 1086) No arrival or departure dates.

The Boatman family were tenants in August 1973 (LSA Bulletin 1292). No arrival or departure dates.

Next
-

No 71 (Linnet House on Lockgate Road)

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

The Swinstead family were the first tenants in 1938, moving here from Chawsden LSA. The picture shows the house the moved into. They left at the outbreak of World War Two for Torquay. (See more below)

Karl & Edith Holly moved here from No 100 (Batchmere) in 1946. They moved to North Mundham in 1948, returning to Sidlesham (Shotford Cottages) in 1954.

Peter Stockdale was here in October 1965 (LSA Bulletin 881) He died in October 1968 and the family left in August 1969. (LSA Bulletin 1081)

Peter Evans (son of Martin at No 53) became tenant in October 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1141) and remained after the closure in 1983 as an independent grower.

The smallholding is now (2015) farmed by Haygrove Sidlesham.

Next More
-

No 72:

Edit This Location

Alfred Proctor came from Newcastle. His children had previously attended Todds Nook School in Newcastle before being admitted to Sidlesham School in November 1937. The family 'returned north' in September 1938. (School Admissions Register)

Paddy Ryan arrived in 1952 and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983. His son John was a tenant at No 117 Batchmere from 1976.

Next
-

No 73: Meadowcroft

Edit This Location

The Yellowley family have been on this smallholding since 1936, coming originally from Waterhouses, west of Durham. Son Alfred and daughter Dorothy were admitted to Sidlesham School in June 1937, having previously attended schools in Cornsay and Waterhouse.(School Admissions Register).

Next
-

No 74: (now Little Orchard)

Edit This Location

John Fordyce's children were admitted to Sidlesham School in September 1937 having previously been at a school in South Shields. One child left the school (age exempt) in February 1942, but no family departure date.

Cliff Fuller and his family arrived in 1956 from Billingshurst. Cliff purchased Springfield Nursery on the Lower Bognor Road in 1970 (in addition to being a tenant at No 74) and the family there from the LSA in 1975.

Len Doubledam arrived in October 1975 (LSA Bulletin 1405), became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983 and is still producing today (2015).

Next More
-

No 75:

Edit This Location

Thomas Nixon came from Binchester, County Durham. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1938. No departure date.

Tom High (no arrival date) was here in 1956 when Cliff Fuller arrived at No 74, mentioned in an LSA Bulletin (822) in 1964 and on the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.

Next
-

No 76: Ann's Plants

Edit This Location

Jim & Nancy Simmonds were tenants here in 1950s - arriving just before Cliff Fuller (No 74) who had worked with Jim at a brickyard near Five Oaks. Frank (Jack's son) & Nancy Simmonds (no transfer date) were tenants in 1967 (LSA Bulletin 992) and were Sidlesham Growers in 1991.

Next
-

Fletchers Lane

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

The LSA bought the land of Fletchers Farm but not the house. A Youth Club and Womens' Club were held in a hut situated by the bend (on the site of Willowdene) and another building housed offices.
No 82: Charlie Roe arrived in 1958. He is a keen member of Chichester Camera Club and it was his collection of photographs which provided the inspiration for this trail. Another wonderful garden here has been open to the public as part of the National Garden Scheme.
During World War II agricultural workers were exempt conscription, but several LSA tenants joined the Home Guard which was based at No 88.

People with links to this location:
Mr Charlie & Mary Roe
Edit Charlie & Mary Roe

Next More
-

Nos 77 & 78: (LSA staff houses)

Edit This Location

No 77: (Staff House)
Horace Hook arrived in 1936 as a road builder and stayed on as an LSA worker. School records show that daughter Margaret was admitted to the primary school in April 1937 and left for Mundham in January 1940.

Bill Stubbs (LSA tractor driver) lived here from the 1960s and the family are still live in the house in 2016.

No 78: (Staff House)
John McCulla's children were admitted to Sidlesham School in September 1937 having previously been at school in Jarrow. The School Admissions Register gives their address as 78 Prospect Avenue. The family 'returned north' in May 1938.

Tractor driver Jack Mansbridge was living here in December 1959 (LSA Bulletin 589) No arrival or departure date.

Reg Collyer, also a tractor driver, also lived here. Contact made with the family and details to follow.

Next More
-

Nos 79 & 80:

Edit This Location

No 79:
John Pring came from Newcastle. His children were admitted to Sidlesham school in May 1937, having previously attended Wharrier Street School in Newcastle and Walker RC in Durham. One of the children left the school (age exempt) in December 1943, (School Admissions Register), but no family departure date.

S.R. Lacey (no arrival date) was here in December 1959 (LSA Bulletin 587) The family left in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 984)

Chris & Ann Wade arrived in 1967 (LSA Bulletin 985) and became Sidlesham Growers in 1983. Chris also managed Almodington Nurseries after the closure of the LSA in 1983..

No 80:
John Middlemas' moved here from No 17. (Schools Admissions register). His 4 children were admitted to Sidlesham School in April 1937, having previously attended schools in Welbeck Road,Newcastle and Heaton Junior Tech. No departure date.

Jack & Winnie Lowe were tenants in November 1964 (LSA Bulletin 836) and became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983. No arrival date.

Next
-

Nos 81 & 82

Edit This Location

No 81:
James Longstaff's children were admitted to the school in March 1937, having previously attended a school in Heworth, County Durham. No departure date.

Mark & Janie Newdick were tenants here from 1953 until 1971.

Guy Abbott arrived in October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193) and was a Sidlesham Grower after the closure. His wife, Elizabeth, the daughter of Mr Newdick the previous tenant, remained on the smallholding until 2000

No 82:
Jack Semmens arrived in 1936 from Sunderland. His children had previously attended Commercial Road School. Jack was employed as part of the "government recruitment drive to relocate out of work northerners". He died in Portsmouth in 1975.

Charlie and Mary Roe arrived in 1958. Charlie is a keen member of Chichester Camera Club and it was his collection of photographs which provided the initial inspiration for this heritage trail. Another wonderful garden here which has been open to the public as part of the National Garden Scheme.

Next More
-

Nos 83 & 84:

Edit This Location

No 83:
Albert & Freda Reed's children were admitted to the school in April 1937. At a later date the family moved to Keynor Cottage when Albert joined the army. The Schools Admissions Register records that son Alan was removed from the school in March 1945 for 'an extended holiday in Durham'.

Maurice Fry was tenant here in 1947 (after demob from army) and stayed until 1953 when the family moved to Worthing.

Peter & Eleanor Busby took over from the Frys in 1953. The family left in September 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1003)

Bill & Rita Lee arrived from Elmsthorpe LSA in October 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1037) and became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.

No 84:
John Wharton's children were admitted to the school in March 1937, having previously attended a school in Claydon South Shields. The family then moved to Hatchers Cottage before they 'returned north' in August 1940 (Schools Admissions Register).

Henry & Christina Grimes arrived in 1939 from Tredegar in the Rhondda Valley where Henry had been a miner. No departure date. Son, also Henry, became a tenant at No 87.

D.R. Clark arrived in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 985) and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.

Next More
-

No 85:

Edit This Location

Arthur & Elizabeth Grainger arrived in 1936 from Byers Green where Arthur had been a miner in the local colliery. Mrs Grainger is quoted in an article in a local paper about the storms in 1956 (see 'more' below)

The Marsh family took over in 1957. The family left in September 1977 (LSA Bulletin 1503)

Roy Parker arrived October 1977 (LSA Bulletin 1505) and he became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983. Roy's wife Ann was the grand-daughter of Lance Edwards, the original tenant at No 38).

Next More
-

No 86:

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

George Kirkby came from Byers Green, County Durham. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in May 1937. No departure date, but the School Admissions Register records that one of the children was 'removed' in May 1938.

John 'Jack' & Liz Wilson arrived in 1938 from Simonside in Jarrow where Jack had been a miner at Harton Colliery. Son Arthur, who was six years old when the familt moved south, took over the holding in September 1966 (LSA Bulletin 934) and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.

Next More
-

No 87:

Edit This Location

Thomas Newton arrived in 1939 from South Shields where he had worked on the railway and in the docks. The family left in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 984)

Henry Grimes, whose father was a tenant at No 84 was a tenant in 1969 (no arrival date) and he became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.

Next More
-

Nos 88 & 89:

Edit This Location

No 88:
Henry Johnson's children were admitted to the school in December 1937. No details of previous schools/location. The family 'left the district' in October 1939 (Schools Admissions Register)

The Home Guard used this property as a base during World War II.

Warwick Faires (no arrival date) was here in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) On the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.

Michael Gatehouse was here as a Sidlesham Grower 1983-1991.

No 89:
Henry Blenkinsop's children were admitted to Sidlesham school in April 1937 (no previous details). Still here in April 1946 when one of the children left school, but no departure date for the family.

Walter Saunders (no arrival date) was a tenant in the 1950s (he appears in the LSA film made in Sidlesham in1956) The family left in 1971.

Eddie & Gloria Jupp arrived in 1971 and became Sidlesham Growers in 1983.

Next
-

Pound Inn

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

With your back to Highleigh Lane, the property on the opposite side of the road (Highleigh Pound) was the 17th century Pound Inn, a local for the earliest LSA tenants who used the footpaths across the fields from Lockgate Road and Almodington.

Next More
-

Almodington Lane

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Batchmere Hut stood on the site of Woodlands. Either side were two LSA houses occupied by managers who played key roles on the estate. No 143 (Lidney Croft): Peter Farley (Livestock Manager) was in charge of poultry and pigs until they were phased out in the 1960's. No 144 (Fair Field): Godfrey Shirt (Department Service Manager) had responsibility for transport (lorry and tractor drivers) as well as contracted services offered to tenants such as soil sterilisation.

People with links to this location:
Mr Godfrey Shirt
Edit Godfrey Shirt
Mr Peter Farley
Edit Peter Farley

Next More
-

First Avenue (No's 94-107)

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

First Avenue (Nos 94-107)
The cottages on the left were originally stables and cattle sheds for Batchmere Farm. During the early days of the LSA they housed shire horses to transport the produce to the Packing Shed next door. No 107: Ernie Boxall arrived in 1966. At the closure of the LSA in 1983 he became Chair of Sidlesham Growers, an independent company established with 89 former tenants.

People with links to this location:
Ernie & Rose Boxall
Edit Ernie & Rose Boxall

Next More
-

No 94:

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Geoff Parham (no arrival date) was a tenant here in 1959 (LSA Bulletin 559). He left in March 1972 (LSA Bulletin 1218)

Bruce Davis arrived in 1972 and left in October 1982 (LSA Bulletin 1764)

Trevor Haffenden took over and became a Sidlesham Grower until 1991.

Next More
-

No 95:

Edit This Location

Roy Lintott (no arrival date) was a tenant in April 1959 (LSA Bulletin 559). On the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.

Ray & Brenda Jackson (related to Lance Edwards, the original tenant at No 38) was a Sidlesham Grower in 1983 and 1986.

Next
-

No 96: Staff property - now Mole Cottage

Edit This Location

Joseph 'Joe' & Margaret Mounsey came from Bishop Auckland in County Durham in the late 1930s.

Colin 'Wink' & Lil Edwards were here in 1950s/60s. Colin was the brother of Frank Edwards who lived at 134 Batchmere. Lil Edwards was the daughter of Mr and Mrs Bill Burt who lived at 129 Batchmere with her brother
Gordon. Whilst originally employed as a tractor driver Colin was mainly employed in the
late 50's and early 60's as a lorry driver. He would take the produce from the packing sheds, drive during the night to the morning markets in London.

Next
-

No 97:

Edit This Location

French Maurice Menard arrived in the late 1950s with his English wife Joan. Reference in LSA Bulletin 915 (May 1966) and became Sidlesham Growers in 1983.

Next More
-

No 98:

Edit This Location

John & Vera Carter were from the north-east of England - (Hexham?) No arrival date, but brother George (lived opposite at No 105) is in the photo of 1948 football team. John left in September 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1552)

Steve Slade arrived in October 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1556) and was a Sidlesham Grower until 1991. Brother George had a holding at No 105 Batchmere.

Next
-

No 99:

Edit This Location

Fred Hall (no arrival date) was a tenant here in 1966. His brother Jim was a tenant at No 113..Fred left in September 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1140)

Ron Watkins arrived in October 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1141) On the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.

Next
-

No 100:

Edit This Location

Carl Holly, a miner from Tredegar in the Rhondda arrived with his wife in 1938. Carl, his wife Edith and 12 children moved to No 71 Fletchers (on Lockgate Road) in 1946.

Archie Braisher arrived in February 1966 (Bulletin 902), Son, Neil, was in the British rifle shooting team at Bisley and ran the folk club behind the Bull's Head at Fishbourne. The family left in September 1977 (LSA Bulletin 1503),

Nicholas Roe (son of Charlie at No 82) arrived in October 1977 (LSA Bulletin 1505) No departure date.

Kevin Freer was a Sidlesham Grower here from 1983 until 1991 (?)

Next
-

No 101:

Edit This Location

Mr Richards (no arrival date) was the tenant here in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) No departure date.

Les & Olive Anderson arrived in February 1961 (LSA Bulletin 699) and were Sidlesham Growers until 1991.

Next More
-

No 102: LSA staff house

Edit This Location

Johnnie & Muriel Barrell (no arrival date) were here in December 1959 (LSA Bulletin 972) Johnnie was the foreman at the packing Shed and his father Frank was an LSA lorry driver. No departure date.

Next
-

No 103:

Edit This Location

Berty (?) House (no arrival date) and his wife were tenants here in December 1965 (LSA Bulletin 891. Another reference in 1968, but no departure date.

Judy & Ian Wilson arrived October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193). They left in September 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1552), bought their own smallholding on Sidlesham Lane and joined Southgate Growers

Mike Bridger arrived in October 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1556) and became an independent grower after the closure in 1983.

Next More
-

No 104:

Edit This Location

Mr Barras (no arrival date) was the tenant here until October 1962.

Kazimierz 'Bart' & Vivienne Bartkoviak arrived in October 1962 (LSA Bulletin 730) and became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.

Next More
-

No 105:

Edit This Location

George Carter and his wife (originals?) were tenants here in the 1940s (Photo of George in 1948 football team) Also reference in LSA Bulletin 593 (January 1960) On the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date. Brother John lived opposite at No 98.

George Slade (1980s - Brother Steve at No 98)

Colwyn & 'Robbie' Luck (no arrival date) were Sidlesham Growers in 1983.

Next
-

No 106:

Edit This Location

Bob & Margaret Ferguson (no arrival date) were tenants here in 1958. Bob was Secretary of the Tenants Association (LSA Bulletin 528) and Margaret was Secretary of Batchmere WI in the 1960s The family left in September 1973 (LSA Bulletin 1296)

David Johnson (son of Pete & Bet at No 6 Keynor) arrived in 1973 (LSA Bulletin 1298) and he was a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.

Next
-

No 107:

Edit This Location

Greville 'Tiny' Baron and Doris Baron occupied 107 Batchmere from 1954 - 1966. 'Tiny' was 6' 2" and played in goal for the Batchmere football team. Doris (92 years of age in 2017) is the daughter of 'Darkie' & Rhoda Harris at Tomlins Cottages.

Ernie & Rose Boxall arrived in September 1966 (LSA Bulletin 934). Ernie became first Chair of Sidlesham Growers, the independent company which was established after the closure in 1983.

Next More
-

Batchmere House (Postal address - No 108?)

Edit This Location

Batchmere (Farm) House, next to the barn conversions on the main road, and 307 acres of land was purchased for £11,500 in November 1936. LSA staff lived in the farmhouse which was divided into flats. During the 1950s the ground floor flat was occupied by Sam (?) Whithorn, his wife and two sone Robert and Owen. The top floor flat was occupied by Colin and Lil Edwards before they moved to No 96.

It was for sale by auction after the closure of the LSA in 1986 with a guide price of £95-115,000.

Next More
-

No 109:

Edit This Location

An LSA staff house, the foreman of the Propagation Unit lived here.
Ted and Kay Jones in the 1950's, Mr & Mrs Lowcock, Mr & Mrs Grey and Mr & Mrs Lewer in the 1960s &1970's. There were also three other families who lived there until Don Wells retired in 1982 - Mr & Mrs Stafford, Mr & Mrs Heath and Mr & Mrs Betts.
(Marion Guarnaccio, daughter of Don Wells, the Propagation Manager)

Next
-

No 110:

Edit This Location

The Sidlesham School Admissions Register shows that Harold Conway's children were admitted to the school in September 1937 and that they left the district for Burnham, Bucks in November 1938. . . . . . . . . . . . . Don Wells, the Manager of the Propagation Unit lived here. The family came from Basildon in Essex in 1953 and Don managed the 'props' for 28 years until he retired in October 1981.

Next More
-

Second Avenue (Nos 111-117)

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

No 114: Anthony Dungey was editor of The Tenant's Newsletter produced in the 1960's with articles submitted by tenants.

People with links to this location:
Anthony & Heather Dungey
Edit Anthony & Heather Dungey

Next More
-

No 111:

Edit This Location

Jim & Daphne Lill (no arrival date) were tenants here in 1965 (LSA Bulletin 890) and were Sidlesham Growers Growers in 1983 and 1991. Later Daphne moved to No 144.

Next
-

No 112:

Edit This Location

Phillip Carter arrived in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528). He left in March 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1163)

Ken Smith arrived in March 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1166) and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983 until 1995.

Next
-

No 113:

Edit This Location

Arthur Jeff was at No 113 Batchmere. (No previous location) His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in March 1938, one had a 'temporary absence with mother' in March 1939. No departure date. (Schools Admissions Register)

Jim & Margaret Hall arrived in 1955. Jim died in November 1975 (LSA Bulletin 1409) His son, Don, took over the holding in January 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1417) and was a Sidlesham Grower until 1995.

Next More
-

No 114:

Edit This Location

Wallace Stock.pre- 1957.

Anthony & Heather Dungey arrived on 1st October 1957 and left for Oving in October 1976 Anthony was editor of the Tenants Newsletter in the 1960s

Garry Peachment arrived in October 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1405) and was a Sidlesham Grower between 1983 and 1991.

Next More
-

No 115:

Edit This Location

Stan and Lily Bowler arrived from Surrey in 1947 and were tenants until 1971.

Brian O'Brien arrived in October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193) and was a Sidlesham Grower after the closure until 1990.

Next
-

No 116:

Edit This Location

Edward 'Ted' and Kay Jones were tenants here in April 1962 (LSA Bulletin 704). They moved from No 108 where Ted had been the foreman at the Propagation Unit during the 1950s. The family left the estate in September 1972.

John and Ann Hall arrived in September 1972 (LSA Bulletin 1245) they left in 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1552), bought their own holding and became part of Southgate Growers.

Colin Chewter arrived in October 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1556) and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.

Next More
-

No 117:

Edit This Location

This property was the first on the Batchmere Estate to be mentioned in the Schools Admissions Register.

Thomas McCarthy came from West Park, Sunderland. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in March 1938. One child had a temporary absence with mother in March 1939. No departure date.

Desmond & Cynthia Tilbury (no arrival date) were tenants here in May 1959 (LSA Bulletin 558) Desmond died in 1975 and the family moved to Tangmere in September 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1449)

John Ryan arrived in October 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1452) and was a Sidlesham Grower from 1983 until 1991.

Next More
-

No 118 (Almodington Lane)

Edit This Location

Keith & June Morgan (no arrival date) Keith was Secretary of the Batchmere Christian Fellowship in 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) and until he retired in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 984)

Roy Watkins took over in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 985) Still here in 1972, but no departure date.

George Noble took over from Roy Watkins (no transfer date). He left in October 1982 (LSA Bulletin 1764).

Campbell Thorp(e) arrived in October 1982 (LSA Bulletin 1764) and was a Sidlesham Grower between 1983 and 1991.

Next
-

Third Avenue (Nos 119-128)

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

No 119: John Henry Aston took a leading part in the formation of NALSAT (National Association of Land Settlement Association Tenants) of which he was Chair (local and national) and was awarded the MBE in 1953 in recognition of his work.

Next More
-

No 119:

Edit This Location

John Henry Aston (no arrival date) was a tenant here and took a leading part in the formation of NALSAT (National Association of Land Settlement Association Tenants) of which he was Chair (local and national). In 1953 he was awarded the MBE in recognition of these roles.

Mr Manning was here in April 1963 (LSA Bulletin 806) Still here in 1968, but no departure date.

Archie Weaver arrived in January 1974 (LSA Bulletin 1366), having previously worked at the props. He was a Sidlesham Grower in 1986.

Next More
-

No 120:

Edit This Location

Walter Nappitt (1950s)

John Francis arrived in September 1961 (LSA Bulletin 677) He became Chair of the Tenants Association and was on the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.

Next
-

No 121: Staff property

Edit This Location

Godfrey Shirt (Services Manager) lived here when he first moved to the LSA from Newent LSA in 1951. He later moved to Fairfield (No 144)

Frank Booth (No 125) rented the holding, greenhouse and piggery in 1950s-1970s.

Albert James 'Jim' King worked at the Propagation Unit and lived here from 1963 until 1988.

Next More
-

No 122:

Edit This Location

Malcolm Hasty was here in the 1940s.

Roy & Eileen Edkins arrived in 1950 and left the holding in September 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1552)

Colin Durant arrived in October 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1556) and was a Sidlesham Grower until 1991.

Next More
-

No 123:

Edit This Location

Ronald & Evelyn (Eva) Chew were here between 1946 and 1955.

Jim Farr-Voller (no arrival date) was a tenant here in August 1962 (LSA Bulletin 723) Still here in 1977 but no departure date.

John Wilson was a Sidlesham Grower between 1983 and 1986.

Next
-

No 124:

Edit This Location

William (Billy) Bond (no arrival date) was a tenant here in February 1960 (LSA Bulletin 597) Further reference in 1963, but no departure date.

Gerald Chisholm-Mackintosh (no arrival date) left in September 1974 (LSA Bulletin 1349) to a nursery in Mundham.

Denis Elliot arrived in October 1974 (LSA Bulletin 1350) No departure date. His sister Jan is at Jakes nursery (No 51 Keynor) Their father worked in the office at the LSA stores.

Next
-

No 125:

Edit This Location

Frank Booth arrived in 1949 and left in September 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1552)

Terry Collins arrived in October 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1556) and was a Sidlesham Grower 1983-1991.

Next More
-

No 126:

Edit This Location

Chris & Kathleen Blackman (no arrival date) was here in May 1959 (LSA Bulletin 556) and left in 1962.

Jock & Betty Hutchings arrived in 1962 (LSA Bulletin 730). On the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.

Norman Lee arrived 1981.

Next
-

No 127:

Edit This Location

Mathew Harman (no dates)

Bert Wilkes arrived in 1953 and was a Sidlesham Grower in 1983 & 1986. Then J. Wilkes in 1990/91

Next
-

No 128:

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Jack Rolf - an original? Daughter Janet, a nurse, 'used to look after all us kids in Third Avenue' (John Booth)

Derek & Phyllis Howell arrived in 1958 from Alton, Hampshire. They moved out in 1975 after purchasing 8.5 acres of land in Bell Lane Birdham, where son Adrian manages Tawney Nursery.
In November 2016 Derek Gordon Joseph Howell, 90 years young and still helping out on the (Tawney) nursery was given an award at the Grow Show by Fargro and BHGS, suppliers to the Horticultural Industry.

In 1975 Rob Froud, 'Maker and supplier of Traditional Country Furniture', purchased the property and established his showrooms and workshop in the outbuildings of the former LSA smallholding.

Next More
-

No 129 (Almodington Lane)

Edit This Location

Bill Burtt (1950s), followed by his son Gordon (no arrival date) who was a tractor driver before becoming a tenant in February 1965 (LSA Bulletin).
Gordon was also the main driver for the LSA's one and only Combine Harvester. That machine sat proudly
along with tractors and ploughs under cover at Batchmere Barns. With the holdings
being as large as 5 acres in places there was room to grow corn before the expansion of modern greenhouses. (Phil Hall) Gordon Burt was still on the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.



Mark Broadbridge arrived in January 1982 (LSA Bulletin 1739) and was a Sidlesham Grower in 1983 and 1986. Mark's father Peter was a tenant at No 1 (Keynor) in the 1950s.

Next More
-

Easton Lane (Tomlins Cottages + No 138 & 139) (#138)

Edit This Location

Change The Picture

Mr Ernest 'Darkie' Harris and Mrs Rhoda Harris lived in one of the LSA's semi-
detached staff houses at Tomlins Cottages, Aldmodington Lane at the junction
with Easton Lane. They had three daughters one of which was my mother Doris
Baron. 'Darkie' was a general labourer however he also looked after the pigs in
the 'Piggery' which was next door. Feeding them in the morning before work and again in the evening after work.
For such labourers in those days the working week finished on a
Saturday lunchtime. 'Darkie' spent the Saturday morning 'mucking' out the pigs.
His wife Rhoda sold groceries and sweets from their home, the front room
virtually being the local shop. (Phil Baron, No 107 Grandson)

Jeff Willis and his wife Dot lived in the other semi at Tomlins Cottages. Jeff
was a carpenter with the LSA Maintenance team and worked out of the
carpenters workshop which was housed in the Batchmere Barns complex.







No 130: The Piggery, where the sows were brought to the boar. Male piglets in the litters were fattened up on the smallholdings before being taken to Chichester Abattoir on the A27 Stockbridge Roundabout.
Tenants often kept one for their personal use.

People with links to this location:
Mr 'Darkie' and Rhoda Harris
Edit 'Darkie' and Rhoda Harris
Don & Helen Baldwin
Edit Don & Helen Baldwin

Next More
-

No 130 (The Piggery)

Edit This Location

"Sow Service" - A tractor driver will be available on Monday evening to take sows to the boar. Tenants with sows for service should contact the Packing Shed before 9.30am. (LSA Bulletin 558 May 1959)

Reg Cox (no arrival date) was a tenant here in December 1959 (LSA Bulletin 588) No departure date.

Don & Helen Baldwin arrived in 1963 and left in September 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1604) to establish Black Dog Nursery in North Mundham.

Malcolm Reed arrived in October 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1608) and was a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.

Next More
-

No 131:

Edit This Location

Mr R. Lewis arrived in 1939 as 'one of the original pioneers'. He died in June 1967, aged 77, (LSA Bulletin No 972)

Alfred Charles 'Dick' Burton arrived in October 1968 from Elmsthorpe LSA (LSA Bulletin 1037) and was a Sidlesham Grower in 1983 and 1986.

Next More
-

No 132:

Edit This Location

Roy Morris arrived as a tenant in October 1962 (LSA Bulletin 730) He left in September 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1035)

George Dalton (no arrival date) was a Sidlesham Grower from 1983 until 1991.

Next
-

No 133:

Edit This Location

Henry Cloud, a boiler maker at Palmers Shipyard in Jarrow, arrived in 1936. The smallholding stayed in the family until 1996 with first son Sydney and wife Rita and then grandson Ian who became a Sidesham Grower in 1983 before establishing the Butterfly Farm on the holding. The link continued with great grandson Ben producing the film which is part of the LSA Heritage Trail exhibition at the Novium Museum in 2015/16.

Next More
-

No 134:

Edit This Location

Frank Edwards (no arrival date) left in September 1973 (LSA Bulletin 1296)

Michael Hickman arrived in October 1973 (LSA Bulletin 1298). On the Tenants Register in 1976, but no departure date.

Next
-

No 135:

Edit This Location

Bill & Violet Worden arrived here from Langley Park, Durham in the late 1930s and moved to Bracklesham in 1943.

Arthur & Mary Bicknell arrived in 1943. He died in June 1962 (LSA Bulletin 707)

Douglas Kings arrived in October 1962 (LSA Bulletin 730). On the Tenants' Register in 1976, but no departure date.

Next More
-

No 136:

Edit This Location

Frank Reynolds arrived in 1940 and left in April 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1426)

Mychailo 'Michael' and Joyce Romaniuk arrived in April 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1427) and were Sidlesham Growers in 1983 until 1991.

Next More
-

No 137:

Edit This Location

Alec & Alice McDougall arrived in 1948. Alec became Secretary of Batchmere Christian Fellowshio after Mr Morgan left in 1967. He built a chapel on his smallholding (?) and left after 23 years as a tenant in August 1971 retiring to West Ashling (LSA Bulletin 1185)

Gus & Christine Gore arrived in October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193). On the Tenants Register in 1976, no departure date.

John Cowell arrived in October 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1608) No departure date.

Next More
-

No 138:

Edit This Location

Bernard Aston (no arrival date), son of Henry at No 119, left in 1972.

David and Beryl Bowyer arrived in 1972 and stayed until 1992 when David went to work at a large private garden near Petworth which was owned by one of the Roux (chef) brothers. Beryl was the daughter of Dickie Cowan, an original settler, and spent her childhood at No 12 Keynor (Cow Lane).

Next More
-

No 139:

Edit This Location

Richard 'Dick' Brine.(no arrival date) left in September 1965 (LSA Bulletin 880)

David & Pam Theobald arrived in October 1965 (LSA Bulletin 882) and were Sidlesham Growers in 1983 and 1990.

Next More
-

No 142:

Edit This Location

Robin Gatehouse farmed the smalholdling here for Keynor Salads in 1986.

Next
-

No 143:

Edit This Location

Pete & Molly Farley lived here. Pete was Livestock Manager (Chickens & Pigs) until they were phased out in the 1960s. He then had responsibility for the Batchmere stores and the employment of seasonal staff, including students and prisoners from Ford Prison.

Next More
-

No 144: Fairfield

Edit This Location

Godfrey Shirt was the Service Department Manager in charge of 'central services' - machinery, tractors and lorries. He came to Batchmere in 1951 from the LSA at Newent, living first in a staff house (No 121). He moved to Fairfield in the late 1950s where he stayed until his retirement in 1988.

More
If you would like to create your own trail, contact Tangent Web Design Ltd. Copyright of respective owners 2015.