Welcome to the offline trail app, this app uses your phone or tablets GPS signal to locate you on the trail, the starting point is the Lay-By of the Sidlesham Primary School, Keynor Lane, Sidlesham, Chichester, West Sussex PO20 7NL.
Tap Search in the bottom left of the screen and the application will try to locate your position on the trail.

Due to the lack of footpaths in certain areas we would not recommend the entirety of the trail to those with assisted mobility or groups of small children, please contact us and we can advise which parts of the trail might be suitable.

The Trail (offline)

1

School Lay-By

The Sidlesham LSA Heritage trail starts from the primary school car park, Keynor Lane, PO20 7NL (OS GR 978847). Opposite the school car park are two semi-detached LSA houses (No 1&2) built for £624 in 1935. The smallholdings, numbered sequentially (1-144) across the whole LSA, were initially known by their estate number (eg: 2 Keynor). After the closure in 1983 the Post Office allowed properties to have names as well as numbers (eg Numereuxdeux).

Exit the car park and turn left away from the school passing a row of cottages on the left. Just before Cow Lane on the right, note the name of No 39 (El-Es-Ay) where 'Darkie' Kemp an ex-shipbuilder from West Hartlepool arrived in 1936, the youngest of the early settlers at 28. Turn right into Cow Lane and after 400 yards you will reach Keynor House.

Next More
2

Keynor Farm House

Keynor Farm House and 290 acres of farmland were purchased in 1935 for £13,333. It became the home of the LSA Managers (Hugh Campbell (First Warden) in 1936, Bertie Cutler (early 1940s). Bill Constable (1945-52), George Sutton (1952-64), AJS Cox (1964-65) and Tom Scott (1965-83). Keynor Hut is located right of the main gate behind the hedge. The original 'settlers' lived here during their training. It then hosted meetings and provided community facilities: pre-school, brownies, guides, parties, dances, whist drives and Sidlesham WI.

Pass No 3: Originally Keynor Propagation Unit where seedlings were grown for planting by tenants. Continuing down Cow Lane look out for other LSA houses. Many have been extended and their original appearance altered, but most retain the distinctive mansard dutch-style roof. You will see the remains of outhouses (piggeries & chicken batteries) as well as wooden and metal framed glasshouses as well as footbridges over ditches. As the lane turns left into Chalk Lane Tonge's Cottage is on the right, one of several properties purchased as part of Keynor Farm providing accommodation for LSA staff. Chalk Lane was constructed for the LSA, having previously been open farmland.

Next More
3

Footpath To Selsey Road

As the lane turns sharply to the left notice a footpath straight ahead leading to Selsey Road and four smallholdings (Nos 18-21). Miner Fred Ruckley from Rhondda Valley arrived in 1939. His holding No 19 is now an award winning garden. No 22: By the time John Graves arrived in 1952 qualifications, experience and finance had replaced unemployment as the criteria required by the LSA.

Continue left down Chalk Lane passing No 32: Bill Littler, an ex-iron moulder(shipbuilder) from South Shields, arrived here in 1936.

Next More
4

Packing Shed

Keynor Farm (Industrial Estate) was the LSA Packing Shed, Stores & Offices. All the tenants' produce was brought here to be graded, packed and sent off to market. In addition to the 120 tenants, the LSA was major employer in the area. Selling privately ('flogging') was an offence : "He was selling more down the Highleigh Pound than was going to packing shed and he got his cards". The stores carried 'a stock of over 800 items'. Office staff administered tenants accounts (Passbooks) and managed the marketing of the produce.

At the T junction turn right into Keynor Lane

Next More
5

Selsey Road

To the right of the T junction with Selsey Road was The Jolly Fisherman Pub, Combes Bakery and further down Mill Lane Gnapps Stores where locals could place their grocery orders for delivery and The Crab & Lobster, a favourite watering hole for the tractor drivers.

Turn left onto Selsey Road and walk north passing Sidlesham Recreation Ground, originally the location for Nos 47 & 48, but they were never built. Continue for about half a mile towards the village sign.

Next More
6

Village Sign

Fletcher's Estate (No 49-89). Contrast No 50 with its near original house, piggery, chicken battery and wooden Dutch lights with the four acres of glasshouses, some 5.5m high, at Jakes Nursery, No.51. This nursery produces 1.4 million punnets of tomatoes annually and uses the latest computer systems which enable the grower to monitor the well-being of the plants, even whilst on holiday.

Continue north passing the petrol station which was Landers Garage in the 1950s.

Next More
7

The Grey Stag Public House

Opposite the Grey Stag Inn (The Anchor until 2015) is Rotten Row (Nos 58 & 59). The field on the corner was a propagation unit for the Fletcher's Estate. Church Lane by the side of the pub leads to Nos 56 & 57 and St. Mary's 13th Century Church. Directly ahead are Nos 61-68 in Street End Lane.

Cross over Rotten Row, staying on the pavement of the main road. Pass Street End cottages on the right. Nearby a converted barn was the packing shed for the Fletcher's Estate with stables for shire horses before tractors. Later the barn was used as the LSA maintenance yard. Stop at the next road junction.

Next More
8

Dyers Corner (#69)

Dyers Corner named after Elsie Dyer who had a corner shop here in 1938. The shop then became a grocers and Post Office run by Mr Dyson. Dink Atkey built the garage in the 1950s and Fred Stacey had his forge.

Turn left into Lockgate Road and continue straight ahead at the next junction (ignoring the sign for Highleigh & Ham). Most of these holdings No 71-76 are still working nurseries. Again notice bridges over ditches leading to the properties.and turn next left into Fletcher's Lane.

Next More
9

Fletchers Lane

The LSA bought the land of Fletchers Farm but not the house. A Youth Club and Womens' Club were held in a hut situated by the bend (on the site of Willowdene) and another building housed offices. No 82: Charlie Roe arrived in 1958. He is a keen member of Chichester Camera Club and it was his collection of photographs which provided the inspiration for this trail. Another wonderful garden here has been open to the public as part of the National Garden Scheme. During World War II agricultural workers were exempt conscription, but several LSA tenants joined the Home Guard which was based at No 88.

Continue to the far end of Fletchers Lane. Turn right at the T junction and continue until next junction with Highleigh Road, stopping on the grass verge opposite the signpost.

Next More
10

Pound Inn

With your back to Highleigh Lane, the property on the opposite side of the road (Highleigh Pound) was the 17th century Pound Inn, a local for the earliest LSA tenants who used the footpaths across the fields from Lockgate Road and Almodington.

To return to the school car park . . . . . . . Follow the direction of the signpost to Highleigh and Ham. Take care here, using the right hand side of the road facing on-coming traffic. As the main road bears to the right, continue ahead on a gravel lane (leading to Duncan & Davies Nursery). After some metal gates turn immediately right onto a footpath between a fence and a house which passes several glasshouses and fruit cages leading back to the school car park. Alternatively to continue to The Batchmere Estate (adding 4 miles to the trail) follow the signpost to Birdham and Witterings. Take care, using the right hand side of the road facing on-coming traffic for about half a mile to access a footpath after a farm on the left leading across fields to Almodington Lane. If travelling by car to the Batchmere Estate parking is available in First Avenue.

Next More
11

Almodington Lane

Batchmere Hut stood on the site of Woodlands. Either side were two LSA houses occupied by managers who played key roles on the estate. No 143 (Lidney Croft): Peter Farley (Livestock Manager) was in charge of poultry and pigs until they were phased out in the 1960's. No 144 (Fair Field): Godfrey Shirt (Department Service Manager) had responsibility for transport (lorry and tractor drivers) as well as contracted services offered to tenants such as soil sterilisation.

Continue along Almodington Lane taking care as there are no pavements.

Next More
12

First Avenue (No's 94-107)

First Avenue (Nos 94-107) The cottages on the left were originally stables and cattle sheds for Batchmere Farm. During the early days of the LSA they housed shire horses to transport the produce to the Packing Shed next door. No 107: Ernie Boxall arrived in 1966. At the closure of the LSA in 1983 he became Chair of Sidlesham Growers, an independent company established with 89 former tenants.

Continue along the main lane passing Batchmere (Farm) House on the main road adjacent to First Avenue which, with 307 acres of land .was purchased for £11,500 in November 1936 and No 109 was the Propagation Unit for the Batchmere Estate.

Next More
13

Second Avenue (Nos 111-117)

No 114: Anthony Dungey was editor of The Tenant's Newsletter produced in the 1960's with articles submitted by tenants.

Continue south on Almodington Lane until the junction with Easton Lane.

Next More
14

Third Avenue (Nos 119-128)

No 119: John Henry Aston took a leading part in the formation of NALSAT (National Association of Land Settlement Association Tenants) of which he was Chair (local and national) and was awarded the MBE in 1953 in recognition of his work.

Continue along the main lane.

Next More
15

Easton Lane (Tomlins Cottages + No 138 & 139) (#138)

Mr Ernest 'Darkie' Harris and Mrs Rhoda Harris lived in one of the LSA's semi- detached staff houses at Tomlins Cottages, Aldmodington Lane at the junction with Easton Lane. They had three daughters one of which was my mother Doris Baron. 'Darkie' was a general labourer however he also looked after the pigs in the 'Piggery' which was next door. Feeding them in the morning before work and again in the evening after work. For such labourers in those days the working week finished on a Saturday lunchtime. 'Darkie' spent the Saturday morning 'mucking' out the pigs. His wife Rhoda sold groceries and sweets from their home, the front room virtually being the local shop. (Phil Baron, No 107 Grandson) Jeff Willis and his wife Dot lived in the other semi at Tomlins Cottages. Jeff was a carpenter with the LSA Maintenance team and worked out of the carpenters workshop which was housed in the Batchmere Barns complex. No 130: The Piggery, where the sows were brought to the boar. Male piglets in the litters were fattened up on the smallholdings before being taken to Chichester Abattoir on the A27 Stockbridge Roundabout. Tenants often kept one for their personal use.

Return to Sidlesham School car park using footpaths (signed) either opposite First Avenue or between 'Silver Gates' and 'Poplars Farm House' which are on the eastern side of Almodington Lane midway between Second & Third Avenues). OS Explorer Map 120.

Next More
16

No 94

Next
17

No 96

Next
18

No 95

Next
19

No 96

Next
20

138

-

Help With Using This App

This app is intended for use on the site at Sidlesham where there is no mobile phone signal, the contents of the trail has been saved to your phone, if you don't have GPS just scroll to the next set of instructions, if you do have GPS, enable it, and when your browser asks you to allow the user of location information say yes, then click the search button again and if you are within the area of a Location on the trail it will scroll the screen to that information.

Site by Tangent Web Design Ltd. 2015