Home Stories Timeline Map Gallery Background People

The People Behind The Stories

An alphabetical list of LSA tenants and staff.

Please email sidlesham.heritage.trail@gmail.com if you can fill in any of the gaps or have more names.
Abbott, Guy & Elizabeth Edit This Person
The Abbotts arrived at No 81 (Fletchers Lane) in October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193) and were Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983. Elizabeth was the daughter of Mr Newdick (No 81 Fletchers)
Agnew, Hiliery Edit This Person
Hiliary Agnew was at No 56 Fletchers (Chalder Lane) when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School in May 1937, having previously attended a school in Long Benton, Newcastle. Hilary was at Chalk Lane in 1940.
Aitchison, Mr Josh Edit This Person
Arrived in 1936 as a roadbuilder. Stayed on as an LSA worker, living initially in No 61 Fletchers (Street End Lane).
Allan, John Edit This Person
John Allan arrived at No 66 (Street End Lane) in 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1037) from Elmsthorpe LSA in Leicestershire and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983, he died in 2014.
Allen, Dick Edit This Person
Member of the Maintenance Unit from the early 1950's until his retirement in 1982, just before the closure - "the LSA obviously couldn't cope without him".
Anderson, Les & Olive Edit This Person
Les & Olive Anderson arrived at No 101 Batchmere in February 1961 (LSA Bulletin 699) and were Sidlesham Growers from 1983 until 1986.
Appleton, Edit This Person
Mr Appleton lived at No 31 in the early days. He was in charge of shire horses which pulled carts collecting produce from the tenants. The stables were probably at the Packing Shed.
Armstrong, Thomas Edit This Person
Thomas Armstrong was identified on the photograph of the original tenants taken outside Keynor Hut in 1936. He was living at No 29 (Chalk Lane) in January 1939 when his daughter Margaret was admitted to Sidlesham School.
Ashworth, Arthur Edit This Person
Albert Ashworth arrived at No 24 Keynor (Chalk Lane) in 1936 from Backworth in Northumberland.The family returned to North Shields in November 1937 (Schools Admissions Register).
Aston, Mr John Henry & Bernard Edit This Person
No 119 - Chair of Local and National Tenants' Associations - awarded MBE in 1953. Son Bernard was a tenant at No 138 until 1972.
Atkey, Dink Edit This Person
Associated to Dyers Corner Edit This Location
Dyers Corner named after Elsie Dyer who had a corner shop here in 1938. The shop then became a grocers and Post Office run by Mr Dyson. Dink Atkey built the garage in the 1950s and Fred Stacey had his forge.
Dyers Corner 069
Ayling, John Edit This Person
John Ayling was a Sidlesham Grower at No 62 (Street End Lane) in 1983 and 1991.
Back, Walter Edit This Person
Walter Back was at No 52 in June 1963 (LSA Bulletin 767). No arrival date. He moved off the LSA to establish an independent nursery in Wophams Lane, Sidlesham in September 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1604).
Bailey, Mr John Edit This Person
A ship's riveter from North Shields John moved into No 22 in late 1937 and his wife Barbara arrived six months later. He retired to Selsey in 1947.
Bailey, Herbert Edit This Person
Herbert Bailey came to No 26 Keynor (Chalk Lane) from Seghill, County Durham. His children were admitted to the school in March 1938, The family 'returned north' in November 1938. (School Admissions Register)
Baldwin, Don & Helen Edit This Person
No 130: Arrived in 1963 from the Duke of Norfolk's Estate
Associated to Easton Lane (Tomlins Cottages + No 138 & 139) Edit This Location
Mr Ernest 'Darkie' Harris and Mrs Rhoda Harris lived in one of the LSA's semi-detached staff houses at Tomlins Cottages, Aldmodington Lane at the junctionwith Easton Lane. They had three daughters one of which was my mother Doris Baron. 'Darkie' was a general labourer however he also looked after the pigs in the 'Piggery' which was next door. Feeding them in the morning before work and again in the evening after work. For such labourers in those days the working week finished on a Saturday lunchtime. 'Darkie' spent the Saturday morning 'mucking' out the pigs. His wife Rhoda sold groceries and sweets from their home, the front room virtually being the local shop. (Phil Baron, No 107 Grandson) Albert Wyatt was living at No 2 Tomlins Cottages in October 1940 when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School. Jeff Willis and his wife Dot lived in the other semi at Tomlins Cottages.Jeff was a carpenter with the LSA Maintenance team and worked out of the carpenters workshop which was housed in the Batchmere Barns complex. No 130: The Piggery, where the sows were brought to the boar. Male piglets in the litters were fattened up on the smallholdings before being taken to Chichester Abattoir on the A27 Stockbridge Roundabout. Tenants often kept one for their personal use.
Easton Lane (Tomlins Cottages + No 138 & 139) 138
Baron, Tiny & Doris Edit This Person
Greville 'Tiny' & Doris Baron were at No 107 Batchmere from 1954 to 1966. 'Tiny' Baron was 6' 2" and played in goal for the Batchmere football team. Doris, 92 in 2017, was the daughter of Harris' at Tomlins Cottages.
Barrass, John & Elizabeth Edit This Person
John Barrass was the first tenant at No 104, arriving in 1937 from Durham where he had previously been a miner. John and Elizabeth retired to Hunston in 1962 where they celebrated their golden wedding in 1966.
Barrell, John & Muriel + Frank Edit This Person
Johnnie & Muriel Barrell (no arrival date) were at No 102 Batchmere in December 1959 (LSA Bulletin 972) Johnnie was a foreman at the Packing Shed. His father Frank was an LSA lorry driver. No departure date.
Bartkoviak, Kazimierz 'Bart' & Vivienne Edit This Person
Kazimierz 'Bart' & Vivienne Bartkoviak arrived at No 104 Batchmere in October 1962 (LSA Bulletin 730) and became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.
Baston, Frank Edit This Person
No 24: Frank Baston's son, Kenneth, was admitted to Sidlesham Primary school in April 1938. The family 'returned north' in September 1939.
Bedford, Edit This Person
Mrs Bedford was at No 120 (Batchmere) in July 1940 when her children went to Sidlesham School, having previously been at school in Portslade. A Mrs Bedford was also registered at No 40 in September 1940.
Bell, David Edit This Person
David Bell was at No 125 Batchmere in September 1939 when his son was admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously been an Ocean Road, South Shields.
Berry, Cecil Edit This Person
Cecil Berry was at No 139 (Batchmere) in December 1940 when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School, having been at Mayville School (Portsmouth ?). One of them left for Chichester High School in July 1944.
Bettridge, Noel & Jennie Edit This Person
Noel Bettridge was living at No 40 (Keynor Lane) in August 1964 (LSA Bulletin 827) No arrival or departure dates.
Bicknell, Arthur & Mary Edit This Person
Arthur & Mary Bicknell arrived at No 135 Batchmere in 1943. Arthur died in June 1962 (LSA Bulletin 707)
Bill, Ray & Pearl Edit This Person
The Bills were tenants at No 12 (Cow Lane) in 1974 (LSA Bulletin 1337) and 1977. No arrival or departure dates.
Binyon, Joseph Edit This Person
Joseph Binyon was living at 33 Keynor (Chalk Lane) when his children were admitted to the school in July 1936, having previously attended St. Peters School in Jarrow. The family 'left for Chichester' in February 1937
Bishop, Thomas & Zillah Edit This Person
No 62 - a steelworker from Durham arrived in 1936.
Blacker, William Edit This Person
William Blacker was at No 116 (Batchmere) in June 1939, when his daughter went to Sidlesham School, having previously attended school in Trethomas, South Wales. The family 'returned to Wales' in July 1940.
Blackman, Fred Edit This Person
Fred Blackman was registered at No 109 in October 1940 when his daughters were admitted to Sidlesham School, later he was living at No 139. One of the children left school in May 1943.
Blackman, Chris & Kathleen Edit This Person
Chris & Kathleen Blackman (no arrival date) were tenants at No 126 Batchmere in May 1959 (LSA Bulletin 556) and left in 1962.
Blenkinsop, Henry Edit This Person
Henry Blenkinsop was at No 89 Fletchers. His children were admitted to Sidlesham school in April 1937 (no previous details). Still here in April 1946 when one of the children left school, but no family departure date. Al
Boatman, ? Edit This Person
The Boatman family were tenants at No 70 Fletchers (Lockgate Road) in August 1973 (LSA Bulletin 1292). No arrival or departure dates.
Bockley, E Edit This Person
The Bockley family were living at No 21 (on the Selsey Road) in December 1969 (LSA Bulletin 586), No arrival date. Mr Bockley retired to Chichester in September 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1449)
Bond, W Edit This Person
William 'Billy' Bond (no arrival date) was a tenant at No 124 Batchmere in February 1960 (LSA Bulletin 597) Further reference in 1963, but no departure date.
Boorman, Andy Edit This Person
The Boormans were tenants at No 23. No arrival or departure dates, but on the list of Sidlesham Growers in 1983, before moving to Australia.
Booth, Don & Douglas Edit This Person
Don & Freda Booth arrived 1954 at No 15 Keynor. Don's Douglas & his wife Elsie were tenants at No 10 (Cow Lane) from 1952 until 1960.
Booth, Frank & Gladys Edit This Person
No 125: Arrived in 1949 from the West Riding of Yorkshire and left in September 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1552)
Bowden, A H Edit This Person
A H Bowden (no arrival date) was at No 11 Keynor (Cow lane) when he retired to reside in Chichester in September 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1449)
Bowden, Don Edit This Person
The Bowden family moved into No 32 (Chalk Lane) in April 1967 (LSA Bulletin 961) and were still on the smallholding in 2007 (Census data)
Bowler, Alf & Stan Edit This Person
Alf and Dorothy Bowler were at No 57 from 1945 until the early 1960s. Alf's brother Stan and his wife Lily arrived a No 115 Batchmere from Surrey in 1947 and were tenants until 1971.
Bowyer, David & Beryl Edit This Person
No 138 Batchmere from 1970 until 1992, Beryl was the daughter of Dickie Cowan, an original settler and spent her childhood at No 12 Keynor (Cow Lane, Sidlesham)
Boxall, Ernie & Rose Edit This Person
Ernie arrived at No 107 Batchmere in 1966 and became Chair of Sidlesham Growers at the closure.
Associated to First Avenue (No's 94-107) Edit This Location
First Avenue (Nos 94-107) The cottages on the left were originally stables and cattle sheds for Batchmere Farm. During the early days of the LSA they housed shire horses to transport the produce to the Packing Shed next door. No 107: Ernie Boxall arrived in 1966. At the closure of the LSA in 1983 he became Chair of Sidlesham Growers, an independent company established with 89 former tenants.
First Avenue (No's 94-107)
Boyles, Johnny & Lottie Edit This Person
The Boyles family arrived at No 13 Keynor in October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193) and became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.
Braisher, Archie & Doris Edit This Person
The Braisher family arrived at No 100 in 1946. The family left in September 1977 (LSA Bulletin 1503),
Braybon, Peter Edit This Person
Peter Braybon (no arrival date) was at No 69 (Lane End) in July 1961 (LSA Bulletin 666) and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.
Bridger, Mike Edit This Person
No 103 Batchmere from 1978
Bridger, Walter and Charlotte 'Ciss' Edit This Person
The Bridgers became tenants at No 23 on 5th November 1954. Charlotte became Secretary of the Sidlesham WI.(LSA Bulletin 1252). The family retired to East Wittering in 1979.
Bright, ? Edit This Person
The Bright family were tenants at No 55 Fletchers (Selsey Road) pre-1956, before the Coxs.
Brine, Richard 'Dick' Edit This Person
Dick Brine (no arrival date) left No 139 Batchmere in September 1965 (LSA Bulletin 880)
Broadbridge, Peter & Mark Edit This Person
Peter Broadbridge was a tenant at No 1 in the 1950s. Son Mark had No 129 in the 1970s.
Brockley, E Edit This Person
E. Bockley was the tenant at No 21 (Selsey Road) in December 1969 (LSA Bulletin 586) He retired to Chichester in September 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1449)
Brown, Edit This Person
No 69: Children, Derek & Joan, left Sidlesham Primary School in September 1943 when the family returned to Hebburn, County Durham.
Brown, Reg & Joan Edit This Person
The name Brown is recorded at No 2 Keynor in 1966 (LSA Bulletin 919). Reg was Cornish. The family left September 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1035). to buy Hawaii Nursery in Tichfield..
Brown, John & Ann Edit This Person
John and Ann Murray-Brown were tenants at No 34 (Chalk Lane) from 1954 until 1969.
Browning, Frederick Edit This Person
Frederick Browning was a tenant at No 20 (Selsey Road) in January 1940 when his daughter was admitted to the school. The family 'left the district' in September 1940.
Browning, Frederick Edit This Person
Frederick Browning was a tenant at No 20 (Selsey Road) in January 1940 when his daughter was admitted to the school. The family 'left the district' in September 1940.
Browning, Frederick Edit This Person
Frederick Browning was a tenant at No 20 (Selsey Road) in January 1940 when his daughter was admitted to the school. The family 'left the district' in September 1940.
Buckley, John Edit This Person
John Buckley came to No 18 Keynor (Selsey Road) from Southwick, Sunderland. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in March 1938 and one left in April 1943. No family departure date.
Bull, Bill & son John Edit This Person
Bill was a Tractor Driver and son John a lorry driver.
Burton, Alfred Charles Edit This Person
'Dick' Burton arrived at No 131 Batchmere in October 1968 from Elmsthorpe LSA (Bulletin 1037) and was a Sidlesham Grower in 1983 and 1986.
Burtt, Bill & Gordon Edit This Person
Bill Burtt's children were admitted to Sidlesham School in October 1939, having previously been at school in Cwmbach, South Wales. Son Gordon was a tractor driver for the LSA, then a tenant at No 129.
Busby, Peter & Eleanor Edit This Person
Peter and Eleanor Busby moved into No 83 in 1953. The family left in September 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1003)
Bushby, Bill Edit This Person
No 68, Bill Bushby arrived in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528). His son Richard took over the holding in 1980.
Associated to The Grey Stag Public House Edit This Location
Opposite the Grey Stag Inn (The Anchor until 2015) is Rotten Row (Nos 58 & 59). The field on the corner was a propagation unit for the Fletcher's Estate. Church Lane by the side of the pub leads to Nos 56 & 57 and St. Mary's 13th Century Church. Directly ahead are Nos 61-68 in Street End Lane.
The Grey Stag Public House
Campbell, H A (Hugh) Edit This Person
LSA Manager 1936 - 39(?) Children, Mary & Ian, were admitted to the primary school on 29th January 1936.
Campbell, Jack Edit This Person
Jack was a member of the LSA Maintenance Team - son of an original settler (?) He lived at No 27, an LSA Staff property in 1981 (LSA Bulletin 1722) and stayed there after the LSA closed in 1983.
Campbell, Willliam Edit This Person
William Campbell arrived at No 27 Keynor (Chalk Lane) from Heworth in County Durham in 1936. The family left for Donnington in January 1938 (Schools Admissions Register)
Campbell, Mick Edit This Person
Mick, son of Jack (No 27), became a tenant at No 3 in October 1973 (LSA Bulletin 1298) and stayed at Highfield Nursery as a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.
Campbell, Allan Edit This Person
Allan, son of Jack (No 27), became a tenant at No 21 (on Selsey Road) in October 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1452) and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.
Carter, George & John Edit This Person
George & Vera Carter (no arrival date) were tenants at No 105 Batchmere in January 1960 (LSA Bulletin 593) Another reference in 1967, but no departure date. George's brother John was a tenant at No 98 Batchmere in 1966.
Carter, Phillip Edit This Person
Phillip Carter arrived at No 112 Batchmere in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528). He left in March 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1163)
Carver, Archie Edit This Person
Archie was a lorry driver for the LSA. He, his wife Jean and three children lived at No 35 (Chalk Lane).
Cawte, Malcolm Edit This Person
Malcolm Cawte (no arrival date) was a Sidlesham Grower at No 63 (Street End Lane) after the closure.The smallholding is now part of Haygrove Sidlesham.
Chapman, John Edit This Person
The Chapmans arrived at No 4 in October 1977 (LSA Bulletin 1505) and stayed as Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.
Chapman, David & Gloria Edit This Person
David & Gloria Chapman were tenants at No 59 (Rotten Row) from March 1975 (LSA Bulletin 1372) and became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.
Charlton, Henry Edit This Person
Henry Charlton was at No 7 Keynor (Cow lane) when his children were admitted to the school in July 1936, having previously attended a school in Hebburn. The family moved to Fishbourne in December 1936.
Charpe, Robert Edit This Person
Robert Charpe was the registered guardian of children living at No 31 when they were admitted to Sidlesham Primary School in May 1938, having previously been at school in Chester-le-Street. The family left for Camberley,
Cheek, Joseph Edit This Person
Joseph Cheek was at No 129 (Batchmere) in April 1939 when his three children were admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously attended Lady Vernon RC School in Gateshead.
Chew, Ronald Edit This Person
Ronald & Evelyn (Eva) Chew were at No 123 Batchmere from 1946 until 1955.
Chewler, Colin Edit This Person
Colin Chewter arrived at No 116 Batchmere in October 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1556) and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.
Chisholm-Mackintosh, Gerald Edit This Person
Mr & Mrs Chisholm-Mackintosh ( no arrival date) were tenants at No 124 Batchmere and left in September 1974 (LSA Bulletin 1349)
Clark, D R Edit This Person
DR Clark arrived at No 84 in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 985) and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.
Clarke, Mr Nobby Edit This Person
Stores Manager
Cliff, Harry Edit This Person
No 62: The Cliff family arrived in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) and were still here in 1970, but no departure date.
Cloud, Henry Matthews Edit This Person
No 133 - Boiler maker at Palmer's Shipyard in Jarrow, arrived in 1936, his son Syney and grandson Ian followed him onto the holding until 1996.
Coales, Mary Edit This Person
Church Lane: Moved to Sidlesham in 2014, previously employed at MAFF, (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food) now DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs). LSA 'stories' from former colleagues.
Coates, Mr Eric Edit This Person
Composer, one time resident of Ivy Grange on Keynor Lane.
Collingwood, George Edit This Person
George Collingwood arrived at No 26 Keynor (Chalk Lane) in 1936 from High Westwood, County Durham. The family 'returned north' in July 1938 (Schools Admissions Register)
Collins, Terry Edit This Person
Terry Collins arrived at No 125 Batchmere in October 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1556) and was a Sidlesham Grower 1983-1991.
Collins, Gerald Edit This Person
No 89: Gerald Collins' children were admitted to Sidlesham Primary School in May 1938. The family 'returned north' in September 1938.
Collyer, Reg Edit This Person
Tractor Driver
Constable, William 'Bill' Edit This Person
LSA Manager 1945-52
Conway, Harold Edit This Person
No 110 Batchmere: Harold Conway's children were admitted to the school in September 1937, from Burnham in Buckinghamshire. The family 'left the district' in November 1938.
Cooper, Cyril Edit This Person
Packing Shed Manager, a local man, employed in 1958 (LSA Bulletins), start date unknown, retired in 1980 (LSA Bulletin)
Coppard, Nelson & Marilyn Edit This Person
No 14: Nelson & Marilyn Coppard arrived in 1962. Marilyn organised a pre-school group at Keynor Hut. The family remained on the holding until 2014.
Corbett, John & Patsy Edit This Person
The Corbetts arrived at No 16 in October 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1141) and left in September 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1604) to buy a nursery in Hunston.
Corner, Mr William Edit This Person
Bill arrived in 1936 as a road builder, then stayed on as a tenant at No 7 until September 1970.
Cowan, Mr Dickie Edit This Person
No 12 Arrived 1936 from Ferryhill, 7 miles south of Durham, ex-miner at Dean & Chapter (?) Colliery. The family left in September 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1140). Daughter Beryl and husband were tenants at 138 Batchmere.
Cowell, John Edit This Person
John Cowell arrived at No 137 Batchmere in October 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1608) No departure date.
Cox, Reg Edit This Person
Reg Cox (no arrival date) was a tenant at No 130 in December 1959 (LSA Bulletin 588) No departure date.
Cox, Arthur Johnson Symington, 'John' Edit This Person
LSA Manager June 1964 - July 1965.
Cox, Christopher Edit This Person
The Cox family were tenants at No 55 from 1956-1965. Daughter Anne Buff sends stories from her home in Switzerland.
Croft, Pat Edit This Person
The Croft family were tenants at No 41 (Keynor Lane) in May 1962 (LSA Bulletin 710). No arrival date, but the family left September 1972 (LSA Bulletin 1244).
Cross, Walter, William & Ben. Edit This Person
Walter and Louise arrived at No 66 from Abertillery in 1936. Son Bill (& wife Margaret) took over No 64 in the 1950s. Fourth generation Ben manages Crosslands Nursery at Walberton.
Cusack, Daniel Edit This Person
Arrived from Newcastle in 1935 (?) at No 36 (Chalk Lane) having served in the army in the Sudan, China & India. The family returned north in 1939.
Cutler, Bertie & Gladys Edit This Person
The Cutlers lived in Keynor Farm House during the 1940s when Bertie was manager of the estate. The family then moved to No 56 as tenants. Bertie retired in 1955 and son Dennis continued on the smallholding until 1986.
Dalton, George Edit This Person
George Dalton (no arrival date) was a Sidlesham Grower at No 132 Batchmere from 1983 until 1991.
Davidson, Edit This Person
A tenant named Davidson (No 11) has been identified on the photograph of the original tenants taken outside Keynor Hut in 1936. No further information available.
Davis, Bruce Edit This Person
Bruce Davis was a tenant at No 94 Batchmere, arriving in 1972 and leaving in October 1982 (LSA Bulletin 1764)
Davison, Thomas Edit This Person
Thomas Davison was at No 126 (Batchmere) in May 1939, when his son was admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously been at school in Gateshead. The family 'left the district' in October 1939,
Davison, Thomas Edit This Person
Thomas Davison was at No 126 (Batchmere) in May 1939, when his son was admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously been at school in Gateshead. The family 'left the district' in October 1939,
Dawkins, Ivor & Joy Edit This Person
The Dawkins were tenants at No 44 (Keynor Lane in June 1959 (LSA Bulletin 562). They left in September 1965 (LSA Bulletin 880).
Dawson, Mrs Edit This Person
Mrs Dawson was at No 113 (Batchmere) in December 1940 when her daughter Shirley was admitted to the Sidlesham School, She left the school in February 1942 (Age Exemption).
Dixon, Fred, Jack & Norman Edit This Person
Fred Dixon, No 49 Fletchers, arrived in 1938 from County Durham, where he had been a miner. His brother Jack also an ex- miner followed him next door to No 50 in 1939 and his son Norman took over the holding in 1958.
Dixon, Walter Edit This Person
The Dixon family were living at No 36 (Chalk Lane) in July 1967 (LSA Bulletin 898) and became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.
Doubledam, Len Edit This Person
Len Doubledam arrived at No 74 in October 1975 (LSA Bulletin 1405) and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.
Downey, Harold & Gladys Edit This Person
Tractor Drivers
Drudge, Peggy Edit This Person
Peggy Drudge was living at No 8 Keynor when she was admitted to the school in September 1944. She returned to school on Hayling Island in January 1944.
Drummond, Fred Edit This Person
Fred Drummond arrived at No 5 Keynor (Cow Lane) in January 1937 from Scotswood, Newcastle. The children 'left the district' in March 1938. (Schools Admissions Register)
Duffell, Eric Edit This Person
Eric Duffell was at No 76 (Lockgate Road) in April 1940 when his daughter was admitted to the school, having previously been at St. Mathews School in Redhill. The family 'left the district' in November 1940.
Dungey, Anthony & Heather Edit This Person
Anthony & Heather Dungey arrived at No 114 Batchmere on 1st October 1957. They left for Oving in October 1976. Anthony was editor of the Tenants Newsletter in the 1960s.
Associated to Second Avenue (Nos 111-117) Edit This Location
No 114: Anthony Dungey was editor of The Tenant's Newsletter produced in the 1960's with articles submitted by tenants.
Second Avenue (Nos 111-117)
Tenants NewsletterEdit This Asset
" A magazine for those Tenants of the Land Settlement Association who have at heart the well-being and unity of the Scheme and its community. STORMY WEATHER AT SIDLESHAM: Tuesday, 18th October. A day of high winds, squally Showers, torrential rain. About 5 p.m. Big storm coming over Batchmere. Just passing West of us and we watch, fascinated by cloud formations sweeping in from the sea. Rain and hail flinging down at the windows, bouncing in a misty • spray from the structure roofs. Thunder now and then. In maybe twenty minutes it has passed and we match the black clouds moving away over Sidlesham. It is all rather unusual but we suffer no damage. Just another one in the sequence of storms brewing in the last day or so. It was not quite the same across the fields at Sidlesham less than two miles away. What was described as a black ball of cloud swept across the fields, up to the Moldings on the Selsey road, and havoc began. The first Holding lost about 50 lights, the next double that, and the third, Mr. Evans', lost some 250 lights in five structures, and then it caught Mr. P.A. Stone's 90 x 30 and lifted it, so eye witnesses say, three times the height of the dwelling-house like a pack of cards. Passing on, the storm missed the next Holding to some extent but whipped off part of the tiled roof of The Anchor public house further on. It was a truly fortunate chance that everyone had gone in to tea, with the exception of a man working in an untouched Penland structure on Mr. Evans' Holding."
Dunn, Mr John Edit This Person
John arrived at No 11 (Cow Lane) in 1945 following release from POW camp. Tenant until 1953.
Durant, Colin Edit This Person
Colin Durant arrived at No 122 Batchmere in October 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1556) and was a Sidlesham Grower between 1983 and 1990.
Dyer, Elsie Edit This Person
Associated to Dyers Corner Edit This Location
Dyers Corner named after Elsie Dyer who had a corner shop here in 1938. The shop then became a grocers and Post Office run by Mr Dyson. Dink Atkey built the garage in the 1950s and Fred Stacey had his forge.
Dyers Corner 069
Dyson, Mr Edit This Person
Associated to Dyers Corner Edit This Location
Dyers Corner named after Elsie Dyer who had a corner shop here in 1938. The shop then became a grocers and Post Office run by Mr Dyson. Dink Atkey built the garage in the 1950s and Fred Stacey had his forge.
Dyers Corner 069
Eals, George Edit This Person
No 28: George Eals was a tenant here in April 1938 when his son Eric was admitted to Sidlesham Primary School. He left the school (age related?) in December 1939.
Edkins, Roy & Eileen Edit This Person
Roy & Eileen Edkins (no arrival date) were tenants at No 122 Batchmere. They left the holding in September 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1552)
Edwards, Mr Lance Edit This Person
No 38 - a miner from Elswick Colliery in Newcastle, arrived in 1936. Descendants still live in Sidlesham.
Edwards, Wink Edit This Person
Colin 'Wink' & Lil Edwards were at No 96 Batchmere in 1966. Wink was an LSA tractor driver. No arrival or departure dates.
Edwards, Frank Edit This Person
Frank Edwards (no arrival date) was a tenant at No 134 Batchmere, he left in September 1973 (LSA Bulletin 1296)
Elliott, Denis Edit This Person
Denis Elliot arrived at No 124 in October 1974 (LSA Bulletin 1350) No departure date. His sister Jan is at Jakes Nursery (No 51 Keynor)
Ellson, William Edit This Person
William Ellson arrived at No 10 Keynor (Cow Lane) in 1936. The School Admissions Register has no information about previous address - the family left for Shopwhyke, Chichester in August 1940.
Evans, Nick & Kathy Edit This Person
No 7a - arrived in 1999 and established Haygrove Sidlesham.
Evans, Martin & Ann Edit This Person
No 53: Martin arrived in 1948, became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983 and stayed until his death in 2013. Son Peter was at No 71 in October 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1141) and was an independent grower after the closure.
Evans, Bryn Edit This Person
Bryn Evans was at No 99 (Batchmere) in March 1939 when his daughters were admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously attended Georgetown School in Tredegar. The family 'returned to South Wales' in October 1939.
Everdell, Les & Marie Edit This Person
The Everdells were tenants at No 14 (Chalk Lane) in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528). He was Chair of the LSA Tenants Association at that time. No arrival date, and the family probably stayed until 1962 when the Coppards
Everley, Frank & Madge Edit This Person
The Everley family were at No 16 in May 1966 (LSA Bulletin 914) and selling hay in June 1969 (LSA Bulletin 1074). No arrival or departure dates.
Faires, Warwick Edit This Person
Warwick Faires was the tenant at No 88 (Fletchers Lane) in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) No arrival or departure dates.
Farley, Mr Peter Edit This Person
(Livestock Manager) arrived in 1950.
Associated to Almodington Lane Edit This Location
Batchmere Hut stood on the site of Woodlands. Either side were two LSA houses occupied by managers who played key roles on the estate. No 143 (Lidney Croft): Peter Farley (Livestock Manager) was in charge of poultry and pigs until they were phased out in the 1960's. No 144 (Fair Field): Godfrey Shirt (Department Service Manager) had responsibility for transport (lorry and tractor drivers) as well as contracted services offered to tenants such as soil sterilisation.
Almodington Lane
Associated to House Edit This Location
Peter Farley (Livestock Manager) arrived in 1950.
House 143
Farr-Voller, Jim Edit This Person
Jim Farr-Voller (no arrival date) was a tenant at No 123 Batchmere in August 1962 (LSA Bulletin 723) Still here in 1977 but no departure date.
Ferguson, Bob Edit This Person
Bob Ferguson (no arrival date) was a tenant at No 106 Batchmere in 1958. He was Secretary of the Tenants Association (LSA Bulletin 528). The family left in September 1973 (LSA Bulletin 1296)
Fordyce, John Edit This Person
John Fordyce at No 74 Fletchers (Lockgate Road) came from South Shields. One of his children left Sidlesham School in February 1942, but no family departure date.
Forsyth, Joseph Edit This Person
Joseph Forsyth was at No 40 (Keynor) in July 1939 when his children went to school, having previously been at Washington Colliery School in County Durham. The family 'returned north'.
Forth, 'Geordie' Edit This Person
George 'Geordie' Forth arrived at No 17 in 1937 with his wife Margaret and 7 children from Ryehope, Sunderland, where he had been a miner at Silksworth Colliery.
Fosberry, Mr Fred Edit This Person
Fred Fosberry and his wife were tenants at No 57 in August 1963 (LSA Bulletin 775) No arrival or departure dates.
Foster, Mike Edit This Person
Mike Foster arrived at No 52 (Malands Nursery) in October 1979 and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983 after the closure of the LSA.
Fox, Gordon & Mary Edit This Person
The Fox family became tenants at No 13 (Cow Lane) in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) A further reference in 1969 (LSA Bulletin 1088), but no departure date.
Francis, John Edit This Person
John Francis arrived at No 120 Batchmere in September 1961 (LSA Bulletin 677) He was Chair of the Tenants Association before leaving in July 1967. (LSA Bulletin 1141)
Francis, Peter Edit This Person
The Francis family arrived at No 61 (Street End Lane) in October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193) and became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.
Freeman, J E Edit This Person
The Freeman family were living at No 41 (Keynor Lane) in August 1959 (Bulletin 569) No arrival or departure dates.
Freer, Kevin Edit This Person
Kevin Freer (no arrival date) was a Sidlesham Grower at No 100 (Batchmere) from 1983 until 1991
Fry, Maurice Edit This Person
Maurice Fry was a tenant at No 83 in 1947 (after demob from army) and stayed until 1953 when the family moved to Worthing.
Fulham, John Edit This Person
John Fulham arrived at No 14 in 1936. His children had previously attended Walkergate School in Newcastle. The family 'left the district' for Plymouth in April 1939. (School Admissions Register)
Fuller, Cliff Edit This Person
Cliff & Betty Fuller arrived at 74 in 1956 from Billingshurst. Cliff purchased Springfield Nursery on the Lower Bognor Road in 1970 (in addition to being a tenant at No 74) and the family moved there in 1975.
Gatehouse, Michael Edit This Person
Michael Gatehouse was a Sidlesham Grower at No 88 (Fletchers Lane) 1983-1991
Glanville, Joshua Edit This Person
Joshua Glanville's was at No 36 (Chalk Lane) when his six children were admitted to Sidlesham School in September 1938, having previously attended school in Witton Gilbert, County Durham. No departure information.
Gleadle, Edit This Person
Goff & Pim Gleadle family moved into No 11 (Cow Lane) in October 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1452) and left in October 1982 (LSA Bulletin 1764).
Gore, Gus & Christine Edit This Person
The Gores arrived at No 137 Batchmere in October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193) No departure date.
Grainger, Arthur & Elizabeth Edit This Person
Arthur & Elizabeth Grainger arrived at No 85 (Fletchers Lane) in 1936 from Byers Green where Arthur had been a miner in the local colliery.
Granados, Victor Edit This Person
Victor Granados was at No 77 (Fletchers Lane) in April 1940 when his daughter was admitted to the school, having previously been at school in Staplefield, West Sussex. The family returned to South Wales in November 1946.
Graves, Mr John Edit This Person
John Graves arrived at No 22 in 1952 and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983. John was Chair of the Tenants Association in the 1960s and on the Executive Committee, which met at the LSA HQ in London in the 1970s.
Associated to Footpath To Selsey Road Edit This Location
As the lane turns sharply to the left notice a footpath straight ahead leading to Selsey Road and four smallholdings (Nos 18-21). Miner Fred Ruckley from Rhondda Valley arrived in 1939. His holding No 19 is now an award winning garden. No 22: By the time John Graves arrived in 1952 qualifications, experience and finance had replaced unemployment as the criteria required by the LSA.
Footpath To Selsey Road
Gray, Albert Edit This Person
Albert Gray was at No 24 Keynor (Chalk Lane) His children were admitted to the school in January 1937. No details of previous school or departure date.
Gray, James Edit This Person
James Grey was at No 65 Fletchers (Street End Lane) He came from Hebburn, County Durham. His children were admitted to Sidlesham school in April 1937. One of the children, Ronald, left the school in July 1945.
Grealy, Richard Edit This Person
Richard Grealy was at No 107 (Batchmere) when his son was admitted to Sidlesham School.
Greatorex, Frank Edit This Person
Frank Greatorex was a tenant at No 64 (Street End Lane) in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) and the family became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.
Green, Frank Edit This Person
Frank Green was at No 61 Fletchers (Street End Lane) from Graythorpe, near Hartlepool. His children were admitted to school in September 1937. No departure date.
Greener, Mr Nicholas & Ivy Edit This Person
Nicholas Whitfield Greener arrived at No 9 (Cow Lane) from Newcastle and his children were admitted to Sidlesham School in September 1936. The family moved to Selsey in October 1937 (School Admissions Register).
Gribbon, Liam Edit This Person
Liam Gribbon was a tenant at No 51 in July 1961. No arrival date. He left in December 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1472)
Griffin, Sam Edit This Person
Sam and Elizabeth 'Betty' Griffin arrived at No 97 in 1951 from Devon, having previously lived in Ashington, County Durham and before that in Kingston, Surrey. The family left in 1957 to run a smallholding in Wallington
Griffiths, Mervyn Edit This Person
Mervyn Griffiths was on the School Admissions Register for one month, living at No 1 in the care of Mrs Kemp. He left for Trealaw in the Rhondda Valley in January 1943.
Grimes, Mr Henry & son Henry Edit This Person
No 84, arrived 1939, an ex-miner from Tredegar in the Rhondda Valley. Son Henry at No 87 from 1959 and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.
Guy, Henry Edit This Person
Henry Guy was at No 102 Batchmere when his two daughters were admitted to Sidlesham School in October 1939, having previously been at school in Trealaw, South Wales. No depature details.
Hackwell, Rita Edit This Person
Rita Hackwell left Sidlesham Primary School in October 1943 and returned to Trealaw in the Rhondda Valley. She had lived at No 1 Keynor for one month in the care of Mrs Kemp.
Haffenden, Trevor Edit This Person
Trevor Haffenden took over No 94 Batchmere in October 1982 and became a Sidlesham Grower.
Hale, Doug & Doris Edit This Person
The Hale family were living at No 33 (Chalk Lane) in January 1959 and became Sidlesham Growers after the closure of the LSA in 1983.
Halker, Henry Edit This Person
Henry Halker was living at No 8 Keynor when his children were admitted to the school in July 1936. They had previously attended the Colliery Board School in Hebburn, County Durham. The family left for London in June 1939
Hall, Thomas Edit This Person
Thomas Hall was at No 106 Batchmere when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School in September 1939, having previously been at Glanhowy School, Tredegar, South Wales.
Hall, Jim, Don & Fred Edit This Person
No 113: Jim & Margaret Hall arrived in 1955. His son, Don, took over the holding in January 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1417) and was still a Sidlesham Grower in 1991. Jim's brother Fred was a tenant at No 99.
Hall, Charlie & John Edit This Person
Charlie Hall arrived at No 65 (Street End Lane) in 1957. Son John took over No 116 Batchmere in 1972. Both left to become Southgate Growers in 1978.
Handford, Jack Edit This Person
The Handford family moved into No 29 (Chalk Lane) in October 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1452) and became Sidlesham Growers in 1983.
Harman, Mathew Edit This Person
Mr Harman was a tenant at No 127 Batchmere (no dates)
Harris, Paul & Pat Edit This Person
Paul Harris arrived at No 19 in October 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1608) and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.
Harris, Mr 'Darkie' and Rhoda Edit This Person
The Harris' lived at the house opposite Easton Lane. Their daughter daughter Doris married 'Tiny' Baron, who became tenants at No 107.
Associated to Easton Lane (Tomlins Cottages + No 138 & 139) Edit This Location
Mr Ernest 'Darkie' Harris and Mrs Rhoda Harris lived in one of the LSA's semi-detached staff houses at Tomlins Cottages, Aldmodington Lane at the junctionwith Easton Lane. They had three daughters one of which was my mother Doris Baron. 'Darkie' was a general labourer however he also looked after the pigs in the 'Piggery' which was next door. Feeding them in the morning before work and again in the evening after work. For such labourers in those days the working week finished on a Saturday lunchtime. 'Darkie' spent the Saturday morning 'mucking' out the pigs. His wife Rhoda sold groceries and sweets from their home, the front room virtually being the local shop. (Phil Baron, No 107 Grandson) Albert Wyatt was living at No 2 Tomlins Cottages in October 1940 when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School. Jeff Willis and his wife Dot lived in the other semi at Tomlins Cottages.Jeff was a carpenter with the LSA Maintenance team and worked out of the carpenters workshop which was housed in the Batchmere Barns complex. No 130: The Piggery, where the sows were brought to the boar. Male piglets in the litters were fattened up on the smallholdings before being taken to Chichester Abattoir on the A27 Stockbridge Roundabout. Tenants often kept one for their personal use.
Easton Lane (Tomlins Cottages + No 138 & 139) 138
Harris, George & son Charles Edit This Person
George Harris was the tenant at No 20 when the Roman villa was excavated in 1951. Son Charles on the Tenant's Register in 1976, but no departure date.
Harris, Reginald Edit This Person
RA Harris (no arrival date) left No 66 (Street End Lane) in September 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1035).
Hasty, Malcolm Edit This Person
Malcolm Hasty was a tenant at No 122 Batchmere (1940s/60s?)
Hayman, John & Alan Edit This Person
The Hayman brothers were on the School Admissions Register at No 66 (Street End Lane) for one month in 1943, in the care of Mrs Cross. They left in June to return to Abertillery.
Heath, H G Edit This Person
The Heath family arrived at No 54 from North Mundham in January 1948 and stayed until 30th September 1957. In 1994 daughter Marianne wrote a book, 'Sit and Sing Small', about her experiences growing up on the LSA.
Herring, John Edit This Person
The Sidlesham School Admissions Register records that John Herring's son was removed to Stanmore Orthopedic Hospital in May 1938, living at No 112 at that time, having previously been at school in Seaham Harbour, near Su
Hickman, Michael Edit This Person
Michael Hickman arrived at No 134 Batchmere in October 1973 (LSA Bulletin 1298) A further reference in 1977, but no departure date.
High, Tom Edit This Person
Tom High was a tenant at No 75 Fletchers (Lockgate Road) in 1964 (LSA Bulletin 882). (No arrival or departure dates)
Hindson, Bill & Hilda Edit This Person
Bill arrived at No 23 (Keynor) in 1936 from Haltwhistle, Northumberland. No departure date.
Hoare, Dennis Edit This Person
Plumber on Maintenance team
Holley, C A Edit This Person
CA Holley was at No 70 (Lane End) in January 1959 (LSA Bulletin 542) Joan Holley was Secretary of Fletchers Hut at that time. No arrival or departure dates.
Holly, Karl & Edith Edit This Person
No 100 Batchmere - arrived 1938 (second wave) from Tredegar, Rhondda Valley - previously a miner at Bedwelty & Pochin collieries. Moved to No 71 Fletchers (in Lockgate Road). No transfer or departure dates.
Homer, Keith Edit This Person
The Homer family were tenants at No 42 (Keynor Lane) at the time of the closure and were Sidlesham Growers in 1983.
Hook, Horace Edit This Person
Arrived in 1936 as a roadbuilder from South Shields, stayed on as LSA staff member at No 77, later moving to Hunston as a Special Constable.
Hornsby, George Edit This Person
George Hornsby arrived at No 42 Keynor (Lane) in 1937 from Newcastle. The family 'left for Surrey' in May 1940. (Schools Admissions Register)
House, Peter Edit This Person
Peter & Margaret House arrived at No 103 in 1949 and stayed as tenants until 1971. Son NIck named neighbours and several LSA staff.
Howell, Mr Derek & Phyllis Edit This Person
No 128 - arrived in 1958 and moved to Tawny Nursery with son Adrian in 1977.
Straightening NailsEdit This Asset
" My dad had me straightening the nails for reuse in the reconstruction of the dutchlight glass . . . . . a very nice place to grow up with some fond memories."
Howells, Thomas Edit This Person
Thomas Howells was at No 114 (Batchmere) in May 1939 when his four children were admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously been at school in Brynmawr, South Wales. The family 'returned to South Wales' in July 1940.
Hughes, John Edit This Person
John Hughes was at No 114 (Batchmere) in November 1940 when his son was admitted to Sidlesham School, transferring to Chichester High School in September 1942.
Humphries, John & Phyll Edit This Person
The Humphries moved into No 29 (Chalk Lane) in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) and retired to Bognor in September 1976.
Hunt, Charles Edit This Person
Charles Hunt was living at No 106 when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School in July 1938. The family left for Portsmouth in June 1939.
Hurndall, John & Pat Edit This Person
Tenants at No 10 (Cow Lane) from 1960 and then Sidlesham Growers until 1986.
Hutchings, Jock & Betty Edit This Person
Jock & Betty Hutchings arrived at No 126 Batchmere in 1962 (LSA Bulletin 730) Further reference in 1969, but no departure date.
Hutchins, R J Edit This Person
The Hutchins family (no arrival date) were tenants at No 9 (Cow Lane) in the 1980s and became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.
Isaacs, Mr Lew Edit This Person
Arrived after WW2. First at the Props (No 3), then became first Property Manager, living at No 59 until 1955.
Associated to Rotten Row Edit This Location
The field opposite the pub was a props and the property next to it, No 59, was the home of the Property Manager Lew Issacs then John Smart.
Rotten Row
Associated to The Grey Stag Public House Edit This Location
Opposite the Grey Stag Inn (The Anchor until 2015) is Rotten Row (Nos 58 & 59). The field on the corner was a propagation unit for the Fletcher's Estate. Church Lane by the side of the pub leads to Nos 56 & 57 and St. Mary's 13th Century Church. Directly ahead are Nos 61-68 in Street End Lane.
The Grey Stag Public House
Jackson, Mr Peter Edit This Person
LSA Lorry driver living at No 31 (LSA staff property)
Jackson, Ray & Brenda Edit This Person
The Jacksons (no arrival date) was a Sidlesham Grower at No 95 Batchmere in 1983 and 1986.
Jackson, Edward Edit This Person
Edward Jackson came to No 13 Fletchers (Cow Lane) from Dublin (?). His children were admitted to Sidlesham school in July 1937. The family 'left for Birdham' in July 1937 (Schools Admissions Register).
Jackson, Leslie Edit This Person
Leslie Jackson's son Ronald was admitted to the primary school on 10th October 1944. The family were living at No 35 (Chalk Lane) at that time. No arrival or departure dates.
James, Alan & Pauline Edit This Person
The James family moved into No 16 (Chalk Lane) in October 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1608). No departure date.
Jeff, Arthur Edit This Person
Arthur Jeff was at No 113 Batchmere. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in March 1938, one had a 'temporary absence with mother' in March 1939. No departure date. (Schools Admissions Register)
Jobling, John Edit This Person
John Jobling arrived at No 30 Keynor (Chalk Lane) in January 1936. from Hamsteels, (a mining village) in County Durham. The family 'left for Guildford' in October 1937 (School Admissions Register)
Johns, P A Edit This Person
The Johns moved into No 44 Keynor (Lane) in September 1965 (LSA Bulletin 881 and left in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 984).
Johnson, Pete & Bet + David Edit This Person
No 6 - Pete Johnson arrived in 1954 as a lorry driver, then became an LSA tenant.and a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983. Son David was at No 106 Batchmere from 1973.
Johnson, Robert Edit This Person
Robert Johnson came to No 25 from Byers Green in County Durham. His children went to Sidlesham School in September 1937 and were evacuated in May 1941. (School Admissions Register) No family departure dates.
Johnson, Henry Edit This Person
Henry Johnson was at No 88 Gltchers (Lane) His children were admitted to the school in December 1937. No details of previous schools/location. The family 'left the district' in October 1939 (Schools Admissions Register)
Jones, Edward & Kay Edit This Person
'Ted' Jones (no arrival date) was a tenant at No 116 Batchmere in April 1962 (LSA Bulletin 704) He left in September 1972.
Jupp, Eddie & Gloria Edit This Person
Eddie & Gloria Jupp arrived at No 89 in 1971 and became Sidlesham Growers in 1983.
Kappen, Hugh Edit This Person
Hugh Kappen was at No 127 when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School in November 1938, having previously attended school in Throckley, County Durham.
Kelly, Colin Edit This Person
No 64: Colin Kelly arrived in 1936, having been a miner from Spennymore. He retired back to the north after the war.
Kelly, Alexander Edit This Person
Alexander Kelly arrived at No 31 in 1936 and 'left the district' in April 1938. His children had attended Herdley Bank School, Haltwhistle, Northumberland before joining Sidlesham School. (School Admissions Register).
Kemp, Mr Lewis 'Darkie' Edit This Person
No 39 - An iron moulder (shipbuilder) from West Hartlepool, arrived in 1936.
Kemp, Jackie Edit This Person
No 1: Jackie Kemp, a Welsh miner from South Wales, was a friend of Fred Ruckley (No 19). The photograph was dated 1946.
King, Roger Edit This Person
Roger King was at No 70 (Street End Lane) in September 1965 (LSA Bulletin 1086) No arrival or departure dates.
King, Percy Edit This Person
Percy King was at No 44 Keynor (Lane). His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in April 1938, having previously been at Lavender Road in Enfield (?). The family 'left the district' for Essex in November 1938.
King, Albert James Edit This Person
Worked at the Batchmere Propagation Unit and lived at No 121 from 1963 until1988.
Kings, Douglas Edit This Person
The Kings arrived at No 135 Batchmere in October 1962 (LSA Bulletin 730) and left in June 1968 (LSA Bulletin)
Kirkby, James Edit This Person
George Kirkby (Fletchers, possibly No 86) came from Byers Green, County Durham. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in May 1937. No departure date.
Lacey, S R Edit This Person
SR Lacey (no arrival date) was at No 79 (Fletchers Lane) in December 1959 (LSA Bulletin 587) The family left in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 984)
Leadbitter, Thomas Edit This Person
Thomas Leadbitter was a tenant at No 115. His two daughters were admitted to Sidlesham School in April 1938, having previously attended Stanhope Road School in South Shields. The family 'returned north' in March 1939.
Lee, Bill & Rita Edit This Person
Bill Lee arrived at No 83 from Elmsthorpe LSA in October 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1037) and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.
Lee, Mr Norman Edit This Person
No 126 - arrived in 1981.
Lee, Benjamin Edit This Person
Benjamin Lee (No 66 Fletchers) came from Wallsend, Newcastle. His children were admitted to Sidlesham school in April 1937. The family 'returned north' in April 1939. (Schools Admissions Register)
Lee, Henry Edit This Person
Henry Lee was at No 70 when his son was admitted to Sidlesham Primary school in July 1938, having previously been at school in Dumfries. No other information in School Admissions Register.
Leslie, Herbert Edit This Person
Herbert Leslie was at No 76 (lockgate Road) when his son was registered at the school in September 1939.
Lever, Eddie Edit This Person
Eddie Lever was a tenant at No 45 Keynor (Lane) in March 1959 (LSA Bulletin 549). The family left in September 1972 (LSA Bulletin 1244).
Lewis, Benjamin Edit This Person
Benjamin Lewis was at No 75 in October 1939 when his daughter was admitted to the school, having preiously been at school in Brynmawr, Brecon. The family 'left the district in September 1940.
Lewis, Bob and Mary Edit This Person
No 131: Bob & Mary Lewis arrived in 1939 as one of the original pioneers. Bob died June 1967, aged 77. (LSA Bulletin 972).
Lichfield, Mr Doug Edit This Person
The Lichfields moved in as the american soldiers left at the end of World War II and they remained at No 42 (Keynor Lane) until 1979.
Doug Lichfields arrival.Edit This Asset
" In the winter of 47 snow was up to 5ft deep and days went by trying to clear the weight from the glass. Work was hard in those days I can remember starting at 10 at night under tilley lamps all the way to school time where I used to get the slipper for falling asleep."
Liddle, Clarence Edit This Person
Clarence Liddle was registered first at No 120 when his daughter Lilian was admitted to Sidlesham School in September 1938, having previously attended school in Dunston-on-Tyne. She was later registered at No 19.
Lill, Jim & Daphne Edit This Person
Jim & Daphne Lill became tenants at No 111 Batchmere in September 1957 and were Sidlesham Growers Growers in 1991, later moving to No 144.
Lintott, Roy Edit This Person
Roy Lintott (no arrival date) was a tenant at No 95 Batchmere in April 1959 (LSA Bulletin 559). No departure date, but still on the holding in 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1173).
Lipscombe, Mrs Edit This Person
Mrs Lipscombe was at No 70 (Lane End) in December 1940 when her children were admitted to the school, leaving for Birdham in March 1941.
Little, Jack Edit This Person
John 'Jack' Little arrived in 1939 from Gateshead in late 1939 from Gateshead to be tenant at No 15 Chalk Lane. The family left for Slough in 1940.
Littler, Mr Bill & Amelia Edit This Person
Bill arrived in 1936. Amelia joined him a year later at No 32 (Chalk Lane) where they lived until they moved to Chidham in October 1961. Son Bernard was a tenant at No 43 in June 1959 (LSA Bulletin 562).
Mrs Amelia's Arrival at the LSAEdit This Asset
" On our arrival at Sidlesham we were taken for supper at Keynor Farm House, where in a huge kitchen, the orderly of the week, Mr Rigg, a Sunderland man, and a jolly and happy man, was busily frying eggs, we were too late for the bacon. We had supper and made our way in the dusk to our new home. It was too dark to see anything but the shadows of our furniture stood outside the house. The trainees had put up the beds and some of the furniture inside, but left most of it outside. So ended our journey to a new life and tomorrow we would open our eyes to a new world as it certainly proved to be."
The Littlers move to SidleshamEdit This Asset
" The seventh of August 1936 was a very special day for the (Littler) family, after nine months of hopes and fears that we may not be selected at last we move on our way to Sidlesham in Sussex to commence life on the LSA. A life which was to last twenty-five years, a life of great hardship (which was promised to us), many frustrations and disappointments, but above all great happiness and a sense of achievement. After six years of unemployment, one's morale is very low and we were determined to make a go of this venture."
Longhost, William Edit This Person
William Longhost was at No 5 Keynor (Cow Lane) He came from Spalding. Children admitted to the school in October 1937. The family moved to Chichester in September 1939.
Longstaff, James Edit This Person
James Longstaff was at No 81 Fletchers in March 1937, having come south from Heworth, County Durham. His wife was a dinner lady at the school. No departure date.
Longworth, William Edit This Person
William Longworth was at No 41 His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1938. No information about previous schools/location or departure dates.
Lowe, Jack & Winnie Edit This Person
Jack Lowe (no arrival date) was a tenant at No 80 (Fletchers Lane) in November 1964 (LSA Bulletin 836) and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.
Luck, Colwyn & 'Robbie' Edit This Person
Colwyn & 'Robbie' Luck (no arrival date) were Sidlesham Growers at No 105 Batchmere in 1983.
Maisey, Charles Edit This Person
No 31: Charles Maisey's children were admitted to Sidlesham School in May 1939. the family 'left the district' in April 1940.
Maltby, John Edit This Person
John Maltby came to No 30 Keynor (Chalk Lane) from Sunderland. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1938. No departure date.
Manning, ? Edit This Person
Mr Manning was at No 119 Batchmere in April 1963 (LSA Bulletin 806) Still here in 1968, but no departure date.
Mansbridge, Jack & Fred Edit This Person
Jack Mansbridge, an LSA tractor driver, was living at No 78 in December 1959 (LSA Bulletin 589) Son (?) Fred was at No 63 in the 1970s. No arrival or departure date.
Marsh, Tony & Pam Edit This Person
Tony Marsh was a tenant at No 70 (End Lane) in August 1964 (LSA Bulletin 827) No arrival date, the family left in September 1969 (LSA Bulletin 1086)
Marsh, Alan Edit This Person
Alan Marsh was a tenant at No 85 in June 1959 (LSA Bulletin 563). No arrival date. The family left in September 1977 (LSA Bulletin 1503)
Martin, Mr Bill Edit This Person
Bill Martin created the Sidlesham LSA Heritage Trail and manages Website.
Martin, Les Edit This Person
No 61: L Martin was a tenant here in April 1964 (LSA Bulletin 809) & 1967. No arrival or departure dates.
Matthews, Mr Jack Edit This Person
Lived initially at Street End Cottages as one of the first government horticultural advisers in 1936. Then moved to No 59 (Propagation Unit) Left early 1940s to join Framptons Nursery.
Associated to Street End Cottages Edit This Location
Just beyond Hanging Basket Nursery. LSA property for staff, including Jack Mathews, the first agricultural adviser in 1936.
Street End Cottages
McCall, Sammy Edit This Person
Lorry Driver
McCarthy, Thomas Edit This Person
Thomas McCarthy came to 117 Batchmere from West Park, Sunderland. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in March 1938. No departure date.
McClay, Hugh Edit This Person
Hugh McClay was at No 9 (Cow Lane) when his son was admitted to the school in January 1940.
McCulla, John Edit This Person
John McCulla came from Jarrow to No 78 Fletchers. The School Admissions Register gives their address as 78 Prospect Avenue. The family 'returned north' in May 1938.
McDonald, John Edit This Person
John McDonald came to No 50 Fletchers (Selsey Road) from High Barnes, Sunderland. His children were admitted to the school in December 1937. The family 'returned north' in October 1939. (Schools Admissions Register).
McDougall, Alec Edit This Person
Alec & Alice McDougall arrived at No 137 Batchmere in 1948. Alec became Secretary of Batchmere Christian Fellowship after Mr Morgan left in 1967. He built a chapel on his smallholding (?) and left after 23 years in 1971.
McIntosh, Jemina Edit This Person
Jemina McIntosh came to No 9 Keynor (Cow Lane) from Knowl Top (?). Her children were admitted to the school in January 1938. The family left for Wisborough Green in June 1938. (Schools Admissions Register)
McIven, Charles Edit This Person
Charles McIven was a tenant at No 4 (Cow Lane) when his son was admitted to Sidlesahm School in September 1938, having previously attended St. Michaels RC School in Newcastle.
McKenzie, David Edit This Person
The McKenzie family was at No 69 Street End in March 1939 when their four children were admitted to Sidlesham School. No departure dates.
McNeil, John Edit This Person
John McNeil was at No 115 Batchmere when his daughter Eleanor was admitted to Sidlesham School in September 1939, having previously been at school in Burnhope, County Durham.
McParlin, Frederick Edit This Person
Frederick McParlin came to No 15 Keynor (Chalk Lane) from Houghton Le Spring, County Durham. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in December 1937. The family 'returned north' in September 1939
McQueen, John Edit This Person
John McQueen was tenant at No 37 Fletchers (Chalk Lane) in 1936. His 4 children had previously attended Walker RC School in Newcastle. The family left for Dagenham in June 1937. (School Admissions Register).
Menard, Maurice & Joan Edit This Person
Maurice & Joan Menard (no arrival date) were tenants at No 97 Batchmere in May 1966 (LSA Bulletin 915) and became Sidlesham Growers in 1983.
Middlemas, John Edit This Person
John Middlemas was at No 80 Fletchers. His 4 children were admitted to Sidlesham School in April 1937, having previously attended schools in Heaton, Newcastle. No departure date.
Miller, Joseph Edit This Person
Joseph Millers is recorded to be living at No 103, then 122, when his children were admitted to Sidlesham Primary School in June 1938, having previously attended school in Cheadle Road, Stanley, County Durham. The family
Mitchell, Doug & Kathleen Edit This Person
References to the Mitchell family at No 17 (Chalk Lane) in 1962 (LSA Bulletin 725). No arrival date. Doug became a Chichester District Councillor and died in June 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1435).
Mitchell, Stuart Edit This Person
Stuart Mitchell was a tenant at No 41 (Keynor Lane) in September 1972 (LSA Bulletin 1245). No arrival date. The family were still on holding in 1991 as Sidlesham Growers.
Morgan, Keith & June Edit This Person
Keith Morgan (no arrival date) at No 118 Batchmere was Secretary of the Batchmere Christian Fellowship in 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) He retired in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 984)
Morris, Roy Edit This Person
Roy Morris arrived as a tenant at No 132 Batchmere in October 1962 (LSA Bulletin 730) He left in September 1968 (LSA Bulletin 1035)
Morrison, William Edit This Person
William Morrison was at No 103 (Batchmere) in March 1939 when his daughter Dorothy was admitted to Sidlesham School, having attended Ocean Road School in South Shields. The family 'returned north' in November 1940.
Mounsey, Joseph & Margaret Edit This Person
Joseph & Margaret Mounsey came to No 96 from Bishop Auckland in County Durham in the late 1930s.
Murray-Brown, John & Ann Edit This Person
John & Ann Murray-Brown were tenants at No 34 from 1954 until 1978.
Nappitt, Walter Edit This Person
Walter Nappitt was a tenant at No 120 Batchmere (no dates)
Nattress, Henry Edit This Person
Henry Natress was a tenant at No 107 (Batchmere) when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School in October 1939, having previously been at school in Stanley, County Durham.
Nergaard, John Edit This Person
John Nergaard came to No 59 Fletchers (Rotten Row) from Percy Main in North Shields. His children were admitted to the school in November 1937. The family 'returned north' in November 1938.
Nettey, Albert Edit This Person
Albert Netley was at No 36 (Chalk Lane) in July 1940 when his four children were admitted to the school. The family 'left for North Mundham'.
Newdick, Mark & Janie Edit This Person
The Newdicks were tenants at No 81 (Fletchers Lane) in April 1959 (LSA Bulletin 552) No arrival or departure dates, but he still tenants in 1970.
Newton, Thomas Edit This Person
No 87 - a former railway and shipyard worker from South Woodbine Street in South Shields, Thomas arrived in 1939. The family left in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 984)
Nixon, Thomas Edit This Person
Thomas Nixon came to No 75 from Binchester, County Durham. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1938. No departure date.
Noble, George Edit This Person
George Noble (no arrival date) was a tenant at No 118 Batchmere. He left in October 1982 (LSA Bulletin 1764)
O'Brien, Brian Edit This Person
Brian O'Brien arrived at No 115 Batchmere in October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193) and was a Sidlesham Grower after the closure until 1990.
Ogden, ? & Molly Edit This Person
The Ogden family were living at No 9 (Cow Lane) in June 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528 ) and in June 1968. No arrival or departure dates.
Oliver, Thomas Edit This Person
Thomas Oliver arrived at No 13 Fletchers (Cow Lane) in 1936 from East Jarrow. The family left for Leicester in October 1937 (School Admissions register). One child spent 3 months at Stanmore Orthopaedic Hospital.
Ostle, James Edit This Person
James Ostler (No 67 Fletchers/Street End Lane) arrived from Stanley, County Durham. His children were admitted to Sidlesham school in April 1937. No departure date - descendants living in Selsey in 2015.
Overal, M Edit This Person
M Overal (no arrival date) was at No 59 (Rotten Row) in September 1961. The family left the LSA in January 1975 (LSA Bulletin 1366).
Oxenham, John Edit This Person
John Oxenham arrived at No 18 in January 1937 from Newbottle in County Durham. The family 'left the district' in April 1938 (School Admissions Register).
Paget, Graham Edit This Person
Graham Paget was registered at No 53 in October 1939 when his three children were admitted to the school, having previously been at school in Ynysddu, South Wales. The family 'returned to Wales in July 1940.
Palmer, Rita Edit This Person
Rita Palmer was at No 112 Batchmere when she was admitted to the Sidlesham School Admissions Register in May 1943, having previously attended The Girls High School in Chichester. She left the following December.
Parham, Geoff Edit This Person
Geoff Parham (no arrival date) was a tenant No 94 (Batchmere) in 1959 (LSA Bulletin 559). He left in March 1972 (LSA Bulletin 1218)
Parker, Roy Edit This Person
Roy Parker arrived at No 85 (Fletchers Lane) in October 1977 (LSA Bulletin 1505) and he became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.
Parkinson, Ken & Jan Edit This Person
No 51 - arrived in 1971 and established Jakes Nursery which is still operating in 2015.
Associated to Village Sign Edit This Location
Fletcher's Estate (No 49-89). Contrast No 50 with its near original house, piggery, chicken battery and wooden Dutch lights with the four acres of glasshouses, some 5.5m high, at Jakes Nursery, No.51. This nursery produces 1.4 million punnets of tomatoes annually and uses the latest computer systems which enable the grower to monitor the well-being of the plants, even whilst on holiday.
Village Sign
Parry, David Edit This Person
David Parry was a tenant at No 136 (Batchmere) in May 1939 when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School. The family left for Birdham in March 1940.
Pattison, Reginald Edit This Person
No 114: The three children of Reginald Pattison started at Sidlesham Primary School on 25th April 1938, having previously attended East Walker School in Newcastle. The family returned north in March 1939.
Peachment, Gary Edit This Person
Gary Peachment arrived at No 114 Batchmere in October 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1405) and was a Sidlesham Grower between 1983 and 1991.
Peare, Giles Edit This Person
Giles Peare was a tenant at No 38 at the time of the closure (no arrival date) and he was a Sidlesham Grower in 1986. He now writes a Gardening Column for The Selsey Life. (2015)
Pearson, Thomas Edit This Person
Thomas Pearson was one of the first tenants at No 116, arriving from Hartley, near Newcastle. His daughter was admitted to Sidlesham School in April 1938, 'returning north' 13 months later.
Pendock, David Edit This Person
David Pendock arrived at No 65 in October 1964 and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.
Pescod, John Edit This Person
John Pescod at No 24 (Chalk Lane) was registered as the parent of George and Charles who were admitted to Sidlesham School in December 1938, having previously attended school in Bynemoor. The family 'returned north' in F
Phillips, Fred Edit This Person
No 2: Fred came from Wales. (Date unknown) He is in the Keynor Home Guard photo.
Pope, Edward Edit This Person
Edward Pope's daughter Pamela was on the School Admissions Register 1944-49, living at No 112 Batchmere.
Potts, Alfred Edit This Person
Alfred Potts arrived at No 20 Keynor (Chalk Lane) in 1936 from Jarrow. The family 'returned north' in June 1938 (Schools Admissions Register)
Poulton, Edit This Person
The Poulton family were tenants at No 82 prior to 1958 - no arrival date.
Powell, John Edit This Person
John Powell was the tenant at No 105 (Batchmere) when his children were admitted to Sidlesham Primary School in May 1938, having previously attended St. Marks School in South Shields. The family 'returned north' in June
Pring, John Edit This Person
John Pring (No 79 Fletchers) came from Newcastle. His children were admitted to Sidlesham school in May 1937, One of the children left school in December 1943, but no family departure date.
Proctor, Alfred Edit This Person
Alfred Proctor came from Newcastle to No 72 Fletchers (Lockgate Road). His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in November 1937. The family 'returned north' in September 1938.
Pude, Charles Edit This Person
Charles Pude was living at No 24 (Chalk Lane) in December 1940 when his children were admitted to the school, having previously been at school in Petts Wood (S E London).
Purcell, Thomas & Ruth Edit This Person
Arrived at No 35 Fletchers (Chalk Lane) in 1936 from Jarrow. Both of them appear on the photograph of the original settlers outside Keynor Hut. Thomas died in 1940, having returned north in1937.
Rackley, Fred Edit This Person
Fred Rackley was at No 19 (Selsey Road) in January 1941 when daughter Joan was admitted to the school, from Birdham. She left the school in December1949 (Age Exemption).
Redpath, William Edit This Person
No 134: William Redpath's daughter Olive was admitted to Sidlesham Primary School in May 1938, having previously attended Westbe Infants in South Shields. The family 'returned north' in September 1939.
Redpath, William Edit This Person
No 134: William Redpath's daughter Olive was admitted to Sidlesham Primary School in May 1938, having previously attended Westbe Infants in South Shields. The family 'returned north' in September 1939.
Reed, Albert Edit This Person
No 83 - Dockworker from South Shields, arrived 1936. Son Malcolm became a tenant No 130 Batchmere in October 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1608) and a Sidlesham Grower in 1983
Reynolds, Frank Edit This Person
Frank Reynolds arrived at No 136 Batchmere in 1940 and left in April 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1426)
Richards, Brinley Edit This Person
Bryn Richards was living at No 101 (Batchmere) in January 1939 when his son Trevor was admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously been at school in Aberystwyth. Still here in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528).
Richardson, Harry & Peter Edit This Person
The Richardson family were at No 4 from 1955 until 1977, Son Peter was a tenant at No 45 1972 -1979, now manager at Richardson's Nursery in Birdham.
Richardson, Robert Edit This Person
Robert Richardson at No 55 Fletchers (Selsey Road) came from Bolam Street, Newcastle. His children were admitted to the school in November 1937. The family 'returned north' in July 1939.
Richmond, Joseph Edit This Person
Joseph Richmond was a tenant at No 4 (Cow Lane) in January 1939 when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School. No departure information.
Rigg, Mr Edward Edit This Person
Edward Rigg arrived at No 16 Keynor (Chalk Lane) in October 1936 from Sunderland. No leaving date. Reference to Mr Rigg as an orderly at Keynor Farm House when the Littlers (No 32) arrived.
Associated to Keynor Farm House Edit This Location
Keynor Farm House and 290 acres of farmland were purchased in 1935 for £13,333. It became the home of the LSA Managers (Hugh Campbell (First Warden) in 1936, Bertie Cutler (early 1940s). Bill Constable (1945-52), George Sutton (1952-64), Arthur Johnson Symington (John) Cox (1964-65) and Tom Scott (1965-83). Keynor Hut is located right of the main gate behind the hedge. The original 'settlers' lived here during their training. It then hosted meetings and provided community facilities: pre-school, brownies, guides, parties, dances, whist drives and Sidlesham WI.
Keynor Farm House
Roberts, Malcolm & Gladys Edit This Person
The Roberts family were living at No 37 (Chalk Lane) in 1969 (LSA Bulletin 1089) and became Sidlesham Growers when the LSA closed in 1983.
Robson, Henry Edit This Person
Henry Robson was at No 54 in April 1939 when his three children were admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously attended Hebburn Colliery Schoool. The family 'returned north' in December 1940.
Robson, Charles Edit This Person
Charles Robson was here in May 1939 when his two daughters were admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously been at school in Gateshead. The family 'left the district' in February 1940.
Roe, Mr Charlie & Mary Edit This Person
The Roes arrived at No 82 in 1956 and became Sidlesham Growers in 1983. Son Nicholas was a tenant at No 100 from October 1977. It was Charlie's photo collection which provided the inspiration to create the heritage trail
Associated to Fletchers Lane Edit This Location
The LSA bought the land of Fletchers Farm but not the house. A Youth Club and Womens' Club were held in a hut situated by the bend (on the site of Willowdene) and another building housed offices. No 82: Charlie Roe arrived in 1958. He is a keen member of Chichester Camera Club and it was his collection of photographs which provided the inspiration for this trail. Another wonderful garden here has been open to the public as part of the National Garden Scheme. During World War II agricultural workers were exempt conscription, but several LSA tenants joined the Home Guard which was based at No 88.
Fletchers Lane
Rolf, Jack Edit This Person
Jack Rolf was an original 'settler' at No 128 Batchmere (no dates)
Romaniuk, Mychailo Edit This Person
'Michael' and Joyce Romaniuk arrived at No 136 Batchmere in April 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1427) and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983 until 1991.
Rowlands, Edit This Person
The Rowlands family left No 32 (chalk Lane) in April 1967 (LSA Bulletin 961) No arrival date.
Ruckley, Mr Fred Edit This Person
No 19, a miner from Tonypandy in the Rhondda arrived in 1939.
Rutter, William Edit This Person
William Rutter arrived at No 1 Fletchers (Keynor Lane) in 1936. His children had previously attended school in Quebec, a small coal mining village 6 miles west of Durham. The family returned north in February 1940.
Ryan, Paddy & John Edit This Person
No 72 Lockgate Road from 1952 and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983.. Son John was a tenant at No 117 Batchmere from 1976 and also became a Sidlesham Grower.
Samuels, Martin & Lynda Edit This Person
Martin & Lydia Samuels arrived at No 12 (Chalk Lane) in October 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1141) and left in 1973.
Santon, George Edit This Person
George Santon arrived at No 34 Fletchers (Chalk Lane) in 1936. His 6 children had previously attended St. Oswalds in Hebburn. (School Admissions Register) No departure date.
Saunders, Walter Edit This Person
Walter Saunders was a tenant at No 89 in the 1950s (he appears in the LSA film made in Sidlesham in 1956) He was still here in January 1960 (LA Bulletin 593). No arrival or departure dates.
Saunders, Issac Edit This Person
Issac Saunders arrived at No 3 Keynor (Cow Lane) in January 1937 from Wheatley Hill, County Durham. Later recorded at No 45. No departure date in the Schools Admissions Register.
Scott, Tom Edit This Person
LSA Manager 1965 - 83. Previous LSA experience at Newbourn (1943-53) & Fen Drayton (1953-65). Awarded MBE in 1982. Lived at 35a Cow Lane after the closure.
Scott, Archibald Edit This Person
Archibald Scott was at No 51 Fletchers (on Selsey Road). His children were admitted to the school in October 1937, having come from Walkergate in Newcastle. The family 'left for Portsmouth' in November 1939.
Scott, John Edit This Person
John Scott came to No 60 Fletchers (Street End Road) from Westgate, Newcastle. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1938. The family 'returned north' in July 1938 (School Admissions Register)
Scott, William Edit This Person
William Scott was at No 60 in November 1938 when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously attended school in Newbeggin, Northumberland.
Semmens, John Alfred 'Jack' & Mary Ann Edit This Person
Jack came to No 82 (according to his daughter's wedding certficiate) from Sunderland in 1936 having previously been a factory foreman and docker worker.The family left in 1939 when Jack joined the navy.
Shirt, Mr Godfrey Edit This Person
No 144: Service Department Manager arrived from Newent LSA in 1951, living first in No121 Batchmere, before moving to No 144. He retired in 1988.
Associated to Almodington Lane Edit This Location
Batchmere Hut stood on the site of Woodlands. Either side were two LSA houses occupied by managers who played key roles on the estate. No 143 (Lidney Croft): Peter Farley (Livestock Manager) was in charge of poultry and pigs until they were phased out in the 1960's. No 144 (Fair Field): Godfrey Shirt (Department Service Manager) had responsibility for transport (lorry and tractor drivers) as well as contracted services offered to tenants such as soil sterilisation.
Almodington Lane
Associated to House Edit This Location
Godfrey Shirt (Service Department Manager)
House 144
Short, John Edit This Person
John Short was at No 26 (Chalk Lane) when his three children were admitted to Sidlesham School in Dceember 1938, having previously attended Brighton Avenue School in Gateshead.
Simmonds, Frank & Nancy Edit This Person
Frank Simmonds was the tenant at No 76 (Lockgate Road) in 1967 (LSA Bulletin 992) and he was still a Sidlesham Grower in 1991
Simmonds, Arthur Edit This Person
The Simmonds were living at No 30 (Chalk Lane) in 1962 (LSA Bulletin 730) and became Sidlesham Growers in 1983.
Simmons, Edit This Person
Dick & Mary Simmons family arrived at No 40 (Keynor Lane) in the 1950, (?) They were atill here in August 1963 (LSA Bulletin 776). No departure dates.
Simpson, Derek Edit This Person
LSA Tractor Driver lived at No 26 Keynor (Chalk Lane), an LSA Staff House, in December 1959 (LSA Bulletin 589). No arrival or departure information.
Slade, Steve Edit This Person
Steve Slade arrived at No 98 in October 1978 (LSA Bulletin 1556) and was a Sidlesham Grower in 1986.
Slade, Peter Edit This Person
The Slade family arrived at No 8 Keynor (Cow Lane) in October 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1193) and remained as Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983.
Slaymaker, Victor Edit This Person
No 52: arrived in 1947 from Oxford and stayed until 1962. Son Norman sends stories from Wisconsin in the USA. .
Smart, Mr John & Liz Edit This Person
No 58: John, LSA Property Manager from 1955 until the closure in 1983.
Associated to Rotten Row Edit This Location
The field opposite the pub was a props and the property next to it, No 59, was the home of the Property Manager Lew Issacs then John Smart.
Rotten Row
Smith, Ken Edit This Person
Ken Smith arrived at No 112 Batchmere in March 1971 (LSA Bulletin 1166) and became a Sidlesham Grower after the closure in 1983 until 1991.
Smith, Arthur Edit This Person
Arthur Smith arrived at No 17 Keynor (Chalk Lane) in September 1936 with three children from Leadgate, County Durham. The family 'left the district' in 1938.
Smith, John Edit This Person
John Smith arrived at No 19 in 1936 from Hebburn where his children had attended the Colliery Board School. The family 'returned north' in July 1938 (Schools Admissions Register).
Smith, Harry Edit This Person
Harry Smith came to No 53 Fletchers (Selsey Road) from Amble in Northumberland. His children were admitted to the school in November 1937. The family 'returned to Newcastle' in August 1941. (Schools Admissions Register)
Smith, Fred Edit This Person
Fred Smith was at No 35 Keynor (Chalk Lane). His children were admitted to the school in December 1937, having previously attended Cruddas Park School in Newcastle. The family 'returned north' in June 1938.
Smith, George Edit This Person
No 132: Arrived in 1939. Death recorded in December 1959 (LSA Bulletin 589)
Smithard, Geoffrey Edit This Person
The Smithard family (no arrival date) were living at No 46 (Keynor Lane) in July 1959 (LSA Bulletin 567). When they left (no date) they bought a nursery in Bell Lane, Birdham.
Southern, Henry Edit This Person
Henry Southern was the tenant at No 21 (Chalk Lane) in December 1938 when his children were admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously attended school in Barton, North Shields.
Speer, Peter Edit This Person
Under Manager at the Batchmere Props in early 1960s. Later transferred to Foxash LSA as Manager of the Propagating Department.
Stacy, Mr Fred Edit This Person
Blacksmith with forge at Dyers Corner.
Associated to Dyers Corner Edit This Location
Dyers Corner named after Elsie Dyer who had a corner shop here in 1938. The shop then became a grocers and Post Office run by Mr Dyson. Dink Atkey built the garage in the 1950s and Fred Stacey had his forge.
Dyers Corner 069
Stamp, Bob & Carol Edit This Person
Bob Stamp arrived at No 54 Fletchers (on Selsey Road) in October 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1452) and was a Sidlesham Grower in 1986.
Steadman, Mrs Edit This Person
No 69 Fletchers (Lane End) Mrs S J Steadman's children were admitted to Sidlesham school in June 193, having previously attended school in Cornsay, County Durham. The family 'left the district' in March 1939.
Stebbings, Alfred Edit This Person
Alfred Stibbings arrived at No 40 Keynor (Lane) in January 1937. The family 'left the district' in July 1937 (School Admissions Register)
Stevenson, George Edit This Person
George Stevenson was a tenant at No 136 (Batchmere) when his daughter Vera was admitted to Sidlesham School in November 1938. The family 'returned north' in March 1939.
Stimpson, Lawrence Edit This Person
Lawrence Stimpson came to No 54 Fletchers (Selsey Road) from North Shields. His children were admitted to the school in October 1937. The family 'returned to Jarrow' in May 1838. (Schools Admissions Register)
Stock, Wallace Edit This Person
Wallace Stock was a tenant at No 114 Batchmere pre-1957,
Stockdale, Peter Edit This Person
Peter Stockdale was a tenant at No 71 (Lockgate Road) in October 1965 (LSA Bulletin 881) He died in October 1968 and the family left in August 1969. (LSA Bulletin 1081)
Stone, Percy & Ruby Edit This Person
Percy and Ruby Stone arrived as tenants at No 54 in September 1957. They moved to Bosham. in September 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1449).
Stride, Alan Edit This Person
Alan Stride and his wife moved into No 11 (Cow Lane) in October 1982. No departure date, but family name is not on the list of Sidlesham Growers in 1983.
Strudwick, Arthur & Sheila Edit This Person
No 1: The Strudwick family arrived Oct 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) also references in 1966 & 1968, but no leaving date.
Stubbs, Bill Edit This Person
LSA Tractor Driver. The family may have lived in Tonges Cottage (an LSA staff property at the junction of Cow and Chalk Lanes)
Sutton, George Edit This Person
LSA Manager 1952 - May 1964
Swain, John Edit This Person
No 2 - arrived in 1968 from Elmsthorpe LSA with 4 other tenants.
Swinstead, Peter & Margaret Edit This Person
'Peter' Swinstead was the first tenant at No 71, coming from Chawsden LSA in 1938. His son John returned to revisit the house in 2016.
Tarrant, Alan Edit This Person
Alan Tarrant was Assistant Estate Manager in January 1982 (LSA Bulletin 1729), living at No 31 (LSA staff property) He became manager of Almodington Nursery after the closure in 1983.
Theobald, David & Pam Edit This Person
David & Pam Theobald arrived at No 139 Batchmere in October 1965 (LSA Bulletin 882) and were Sidlesham Growers in 1983 and 1990.
Thomas, Joseph Edit This Person
Joseph Thomas was at No 52 (Fletchers) in July 1939 when his four children were admitted to the school, having previously been at school in Glascoed, South Wales.
Thomas, Edward Edit This Person
Edward Thomasis registered as living at No 3a in June 1939 when Edward Wood was admitted to Sidlesham Primary School, having previously been at a school in Lynhurst.
Thorp, Campbell Edit This Person
Campbell Thorp arrived at No 118 Batchmere in October 1982 (LSA Bulletin 1764) and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.
Tilbury, Desmond Edit This Person
Desmond Tilbury (no arrival date) was the tenant at No 117 Batchmere in May 1959 (LSA Bulletin 558) He moved to Tangmere in September 1976 (LSA Bulletin 1449)
Tooley, Thomas Edit This Person
Thomas Tooley was a tenant at No 44 in December 1938 when his two daughters were admitted to Sidlesham School, having previously been at school in Hartlepool.
Tupper, Dave Edit This Person
Member of Maintenance Team
Umpleby, George Edit This Person
George Umpleby was living at No 4a (LSA staff house) in 1969. He was Assistant Manager at the Packing Shed and was later promoted to Manager at Chawston LSA in December 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1153)
Underwood, Bill Edit This Person
References to the Underwood family living at No 18 (Chalk Lane) in January 1960 (LSA Bulletin 594) and again in 1968. No arrival or departure dates.
Van Ewijk, Mr Eric Edit This Person
No 55 Eric Van Ejwik, arrived in October 1965 (LSA Bulletin 882) via Bracklesham Bay, Ireland and Holland. in 1995 he rented out the smallholding and moved next door to a bungalow.
Voss, Edit This Person
No 60: Gerald and Barbara Voss arrived in the early 1950s. The family was still on the smallholding as Sidlesham Growers in 1991.
Wade, Jack & Chris Edit This Person
Jack arrived in 1948 as Livestock Manager, living initially at 4a Keynor (Cow Lane). He then became a tenant at No 24 Keynor (Chalk Lane). Son Chris was a tenant (No 79) in 1967 and then manager of Almodington Nursery.
Wake, Michael & Phillip Edit This Person
Michael Wake (no arrival date) was a tenant at No 28 (Chalk Lane) in July 1967 (LSA Bulletin) His brother Phillip moved into No 44 (Keynor Lane) in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 985). Both became Sidlesham Growers in 1983
Ward, Dud & Joy Edit This Person
Dud & Joy Ward were tenants at No 8 Fletchers (Cow Lane) in the 1950s.
Watkins, Ron Edit This Person
Ron Watkins arrived at No 99 Batchmere in October 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1141) No departure date.
Watkins, Roy Edit This Person
Roy Watkins took over No 118 Batchmere in September 1967 (LSA Bulletin 985) Still there in 1972, but no departure date.
Watson, Mr Tudor Patrick Edit This Person
Director of Tangent Web Design, the creators of the software that drives this heritage trial.
Waugh, Edward Edit This Person
Edward Waugh arrived at No 2 Fletchers (Keynor Lane) in 1936 from Haltwhistle, Northumberland. The family left for Surrey in June 1939 (School Admissions Register)
Weaver, Archie Edit This Person
Archie Weaver arrived at No 119 Batchmere in January 1974 (LSA Bulletin 1366), having previously worked at the props. He was a Sidlesham Grower in 1986.
Weeks, Ernest Edit This Person
Ernest Weeks was a tenant at No 121 when his daughter was admitted to Sidlesham School in May 1939, having previously attended school in Trethomas, South Wales. The family 'left the district' in April 1940.
Weissenborn, Arthur Edit This Person
Arthur Weissenborn (no arrival date) was a Sidlesham Grower at No 12 Keynor (Cow Lane) in 1986. Between 1996-2000 he grew cut flowers, mainly Stocks and Antirrhinum, which went to Sainsburys.
Wells, Mr Don Edit This Person
Manager of The Almodington Propagation Unit, Lived at No 110 from 1953 until he retired in 1981.
Weston, George (?) Edit This Person
No 25: Mr Weston was on the Tenant's Register in the 1970s.
Wharton, John Edit This Person
John Wharton arrived at No 84 Fletchers in March 1937 from Claydon, South Shields. The family then moved to Hatchers Cottage before returning north in August 1940 (Schools Admissions Register).
Whatley, Jack & Myra Edit This Person
No 49: The Whatley family arrived in October 1958 (LSA Bulletin 528) and became Sidlesham Growers in 1983.
White, Ernest Edit This Person
Ernest White was at No 137 (Batchmere) in June 1939, when his children attended Sidlesham School. The family 'returned to Wales' in June 1940.
White, Charlie Edit This Person
The White family (no arrival date) were living at No 3 in November 1962 (LSA Bulletin 736) and left in September 1973, following Charlie's death in June (LSA Bulletin 1280).
White, Pete & Kath Edit This Person
The White family moved into No 7 (Cow Lane) in September 1970 (LSA Bulletin 1141). No leaving date.
Whitfield, Fenwick Edit This Person
Fenwick Whitfield came to No 6 Keynor (Cow lane) from Benfieldside, County Durham. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1938. The family 'returned north' in December 1939 (Schools Admissions Register
Wilkes, Bert Edit This Person
Bert Wilkes arrived at No 127 Batchmere in 1953 and was a Sidlesham Grower in 1983 & 1986.
Wilkin, Harry Edit This Person
Harry Wilkin was at No 27 (Chalk Lane) in April 1940 when his daughter was admitted to the school. The family 'left the district' in September 1940.
Wilkins, Ted & Brenda Edit This Person
The Wilkins moved into No 43 (Keynor Lane).in September 1969 (LSA Bulletin 1086) and were Sidlesham Growers in 1986.
Wilkinson, Edit This Person
A tenant named Wilkinson (at No 30) has been identified on the photograph of the original tenants taken outside Keynor Hut in 1936. No further information.
Williams, John Edit This Person
John Williams came to No 40 Keynor (Lane) from Annitsford in Northumberland. His children were admitted to Sidlesham School in January 1938, The family 'returned north' in March 1939 (Schools Admissions Register).
Williams, Albert Edit This Person
Albert Williams was at No 98 (Batchmere) in February 1939 when his daughter Rose was admitted to Sidlesham School. No other information in the School Admissions Register.
Williamson, Robert Edit This Person
Robert William's children were on the School Admissions Register, living at No 33 between 1936 and 1940.
Williamson, Stanley Edit This Person
Stanley William was a tenant at No 102 (Batchmere) in March 1939 when his children were admitted to Sidlesham Schoool, having previously attended a school in Laygate Lane, South Shields.
Willis, Fred & Jeff Edit This Person
Fred Willis was an electrician on maintenance team'. He left to become a tenant at No 46 Keynor (Lane) in September 1966 (LSA Bulletin 934). No departure date. Brother Jeff was a carpenter on the Maintenance team.
Wilson, Mr Edit This Person
Mr Wilson was at Tonges Cottage (Cow Lane) in October 1939 when his son was admitted to the school, having previously been at school in Merton Park, South London.
Wilson, Jack & Arthur Edit This Person
John 'Jack' Wilson arrived (No 86) in 1938 from Simonside in Jarrow where he had been a miner at Harton Colliery. Son Arthur took over the holding in 1966 (LSA Bulletin 934) and became a Sidlesham Grower in 1983.
Wilson, Wil (Trevor) & Becky Edit This Person
The Wilsons moved into No 45 (Acer Leigh) in October 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1608) and became Sidlesham Growers after the closure in 1983..
Wilson, Iain & Judy Edit This Person
No 103 - arrived 1971, left 1978 to join Southgate Growers.
Wilson, John Edit This Person
John Wilson was a Sidlesham Grower at No 123 Batchmere between 1983 and 1986.
Wilson, Edward Edit This Person
Edward Wilson arrived at No 25 Keynor (Chalk Lane) in October 1936 from Castletown, Sunderland. The family 'left for North Mundham', but no date given in the Schools Admissions Register.
Wilson, Edward Edit This Person
Edward Wilson's children were admitted to Sidlesham School in October 1936, having previously attended a school in Castletown, Sunderland. The family 'left for North Mundham', no date in the Schools Admissions Register.
Wiseman, Eric Edit This Person
Eric Wiseman (no arrival date) was the LSA Estate Accountant living at No 3A, a staff property in 1959 (LSA Bulletin 574) He moved to Newbourne LSA in 1961.
Wolstenholme, Edit This Person
Prior to 1954 the Wolstenholme family were tenants at No `15 - no arrival date.
Wood, Ken Edit This Person
Tractor driver
Worden, Bill & Violet Edit This Person
Bill & Violet Worden arrived at No 135 Batchmere from Langley Park, Durham in the late 1930s and moved to Bracklesham in 1943.
Worley, Mr & Mrs Edit This Person
The Worleys left No 19 (on Selsey Road) in 1979 (LSA Bulletin 1604). No arrival date.
Wright, Emanuel Edit This Person
Emanuel Wright came to No 5 Keynor (Cow Lane) from Rose Street, Newcastle. His children were admitted to the school in January 1938. The family 'returned north' in September 1939. (Schools Admissions Register)
Yellowley, Alf Edit This Person
The Yellowley family have been at No 73 Fletchers (Lockgate Road) since 1936, coming originally from Waterhouses, west of Durham.
Young, Bert Edit This Person
Street End Cottages: Born in No 1 Street End Cottages in 1930 Bert worked on the LSA as a member of staff. His father, also Bert, worked on the LSA for 25 years prior to his death in 1962. (LSA Bulletin No 722)
Young, Peter Edit This Person
Peter Young (No 57) was a Sidlesham Grower in 1983. No arrival or departure dates.
Site by Tangent Web Design Ltd. 2015